Skip to main content

THE WANNA BE by Shari Sachs

I catch myself sometimes feeling like my life is not the one I was meant to live and wishing I could be more than what I am...

I wrote this in one of those moments, but in the writing of it I was able to transform my self-doubt into self love and the recognition that we are all beautifully unique, magnificent beings and are exactly who we are meant to be.

The Wanna Be
by Shari Sachs

Did ya ever feel like the life you were living wasn't yours? 
 
Like the Universe, or maybe God himself got it mixed up the day he was concocting You
 
Or maybe He was having a really bad day or was playing a deliberate, cruel joke

With your DNA and that of the likes of Julia Roberts or Oprah Winfrey or Madonna or President Obama himself

Or any receiver of the gift of art, dance, music, acting, comedy, speaking, writing, loving

OR - whoever it is you "wanna be?"

God wouldn’t do that

Would He?

Couldn’t He?

Make you a “wanna be?”

Did ya ever have a friend or know of an icon where you whispered to yourself 

That was supposed to be me, THAT was supposed be the life I was meant to live”

There was a mix up you see.

Instead I got to be me

The searching and seeking one.

The yearning and learning one.

The “always wishing” one.

The “wanna be”  Wanna BEE

Did ya ever look inside of yourself searching so fucking hard for your soul.

Where is it after all?

Inside, around, all or none of the above.

Did ya ever see it? Grasp it?  Catch it? Could ya?

How did you know when you did?  And how did you hang onto it and keep it whole?

Did ya ever love it when you found it?

Or did it love you?

Did it maybe tell you about your own sweet gift?  Maybe not being Oprah or any Queen

Just you. 

It just wants you to be you it whispers from the mouth of God itself

Would God do that? 

Couldn’t God do that?

Tell you that HE the Creator himself would never get it wrong

Never, Ever get it wrong.

The mix up was that there was never any mix up at all.

You see, there is no Wanna BEE. 

There is nothing else to BE.

Except BE.

Photography by Julien L. Balmer

Shari Sachs began her journey as a wanderer, dreamer, and an idealist who wanted to write stories, poetry, and save the world.  Meandering sets of circumstances led her away from that calling and toward a long career as a business executive which she loved until she didn’t.   Lurking underneath the thick skin of corporate identity that camouflaged her true essence was a soul waiting to be reborn. In the last several years, Shari has been on a renewed journey of shedding this skin and reinventing herself as a storyteller, stirrer of souls and overall humanity embracer.  Shari’s mission in her writing is to show us what it means to be both human and divine and sometimes to be able to laugh at ourselves.  Her newest project is centered on speaking to those of us who are awakening in mid-life. Through heartfelt, real, candid and humorous storytelling, Shari provokes us to think about our ordinary lives in extraordinary ways.  "Shari's blogs graceful under fire and companion blog graceful aftermidlife are coming very soon..."

~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Gather

IMBOLC by Caroline Mellor

The inspiration for this poem came after I watched a magical winter sunset and full moonrise from the top of Firle Beacon in the South Downs... Unusually for me, I wrote the poem quite quickly and changed it very little before publishing it – perhaps the energies were working through my pen! Imbolc is the mid-point between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. It’s a fire festival which I particularly love because of its associations with Brigid, the Celtic Mother Goddess of arts and crafts, clear sight, healing, inspiration and nurturance of creative talents – something which, through my writing, I am always trying to connect with.  I also love Imbolc because, with so much darkness and negativity in the world today, it is a time for hope, potential, visioning and initiation. With love and blessings as the light returns. Photography by Chanel Baran IMBOLC    by Caroline Mellor I am the dream of awakening. I am the returning of the night.  I am the tough green

WINTER SOLSTICE: A GIFT OF LOVE by Carolyn Riker

I’ve had several days now of alone time… It is unusual and a gift that I couldn’t see until I breathed it. I have been able to watch the sun’s rise through the grey of dawn and smile at the flickers of frost melting on the waving boughs of evergreen. It’s unique to follow daylight as it traverses the tempo of a cat’s soft slumbering purr. Night comes swifter and the glow of candles and the flames of fire comfort me more than the steady stream of always-doing-more. As much as I resisted, I needed this break. I had no idea how much my body was trying to tell me   slow down   until the exhaustion settled in around my joints. My eyes swam in molasses. Heaviness of I-can’t-hold-out-much-long, walked me to the throne of my nest. It’s winter’s gift of self-nurturing and love. It’s been a quiet proclamation of femininity and a need for comfort foods. Lemon crisps and cranberry, white-chocolate shortbread dipped in tea; I felt a hint of being pampered without