Skip to main content

GREEN LEAVES IN MY VEINS by Marulé MacKay

I have not seen many forests in my life, but I was wonderstruck by The Black Forest in Germany...

This unruly wood, where Little Red Riding Hood’s grandmother lived and where the witch lured Hansel and Gretel to their gruesome end, left me with a trance-like look in my eyes. Allured to its green chaos of love.

Sometimes, all we need is a little raw beauty to remind our hearts; 
we are creatures of the earth and the forest.
Photography by Jonna Jinton

Green Leaves in my Veins
My visit to The Black Forest
by Marulé MacKay

So come and share this waking dream with me
Skip with me into a mysterious labyrinthine
Feel with me
Explore…
Enkindle your slumbering fires

***
I need to go wild
I want to let go
Let go of everything
Rip off my clothes like a savage animal
Reconnect with my primal instincts and feel new life erupting in my blood
Into the depths of The Black Forest, I fall
Screaming for the first time in years
Dancing, playing in the pine tree needles
Laughing as they prickle my tummy, my breasts
I become one with the dirt under my fingernails
Drunk on the scent
The neon green imprisons me and my eyes explode into orgasms

I want to run ‘til I feel nothing but void
Emptiness
Nothingness
‘Til I can look at myself anew with eyes of completeness, vibrancy, clarity, strength

Paradoxically beautiful
And find the lush stillness in this primeval place
Where the trees meet the rocks
And the rocks meet the streams
And the streams meet the river
And the river flows through me
And I rush away
Away
Away
To where my tangled heart can rest

I bring my strangled pressure to you
Breathe your untainted air into my lungs

Animate me

I listen to the songs in your treetops
And I give myself to you
You are the solid ground
The clay that birthed me

No more suppression
The child must come out to play
The bloody rose must bloom into a bouquet of luscious white

With arms wide open
I stand before you
Bare
The beauty
The beast
Me

I cry out to you like a craving creature with a ravenous curiosity
I need your poised energy and your tender fierceness to remind me

I am wild at heart

When the concrete jungle suffocates me, blinds me, robs me of your smell, your vibrancy, your vitality
I want to feel your green leaves pump through my veins on those days when life has drained me of all colour

In sleepy fields of swaying wild lavender under the bluest skies, I sing:
“Open my heart to more!” 

We need you, Black Forest
To take us to the wild
To bring us home.

*   *   *
“I am a white butterfly with black-dotted wings emerging in spring, exploring towns, valleys and green pastures. Until the time comes to rest when fall descends on the forest.
Life gives and life takes, only to be reborn again.
I am a white eagle with pitch-black eyes. I fly beyond the stars into the darkest corners of the universe. I will not rush away any longer, and if I fall in flight, losing all control, let me fall; let me taste the poignancy of it all. I will not dissipate into the clouds through which I soar. I will emerge and fly through rainbows.
I am a new warrior standing at the centre of my life, fighting for a union of solidity between my light and my dark. I will float like a butterfly and an eagle to places where my soul is welcomed by wholehearted creatures in enchanting forests. Places where there is love to be found for all of me—the butterfly and eagle that breathes inside.”
Artwork by the author

Marulé MacKay (Pronounced ma-ROO-lay) is a baby from the dark side of the moon, who is in love with beauty. Everywhere. In music, lyrics, art. All around. She has a poignant romance with words and ideas and uses these as the bricks and mortar of her dream world. She loves cream-dreamy chocolate. The smell of pine trees. The smell of the night. Leaves rustling in the wind. The wind, where voices become reality. She loves playing in the waves of the ocean. She thinks she may perhaps be a mermaid, craving subsurface silence. She is a traveller, foodie, explorer of emotions and mania, a sensualist by heart, and a friend of unicorns and rainbows. She has heart and love for all things. She is vulnerable yet with titan-strength, this allows her to live. Her desire is to share and connect with the restless and wild and sensitive bruised hearts of the lost souls. Make beauty. Not war.
You can reach her at marule.m@gmail.com or on Facebook 


~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~ 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Gather

IMBOLC by Caroline Mellor

The inspiration for this poem came after I watched a magical winter sunset and full moonrise from the top of Firle Beacon in the South Downs... Unusually for me, I wrote the poem quite quickly and changed it very little before publishing it – perhaps the energies were working through my pen! Imbolc is the mid-point between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. It’s a fire festival which I particularly love because of its associations with Brigid, the Celtic Mother Goddess of arts and crafts, clear sight, healing, inspiration and nurturance of creative talents – something which, through my writing, I am always trying to connect with.  I also love Imbolc because, with so much darkness and negativity in the world today, it is a time for hope, potential, visioning and initiation. With love and blessings as the light returns. Photography by Chanel Baran IMBOLC    by Caroline Mellor I am the dream of awakening. I am the returning of the night.  I am the tough green

WINTER SOLSTICE: A GIFT OF LOVE by Carolyn Riker

I’ve had several days now of alone time… It is unusual and a gift that I couldn’t see until I breathed it. I have been able to watch the sun’s rise through the grey of dawn and smile at the flickers of frost melting on the waving boughs of evergreen. It’s unique to follow daylight as it traverses the tempo of a cat’s soft slumbering purr. Night comes swifter and the glow of candles and the flames of fire comfort me more than the steady stream of always-doing-more. As much as I resisted, I needed this break. I had no idea how much my body was trying to tell me   slow down   until the exhaustion settled in around my joints. My eyes swam in molasses. Heaviness of I-can’t-hold-out-much-long, walked me to the throne of my nest. It’s winter’s gift of self-nurturing and love. It’s been a quiet proclamation of femininity and a need for comfort foods. Lemon crisps and cranberry, white-chocolate shortbread dipped in tea; I felt a hint of being pampered without