Skip to main content

FINDING BALANCE by Sarah Whitman

Before becoming a mother, I thrived on new and different experiences...

I worked as a newspaper reporter and met new people everyday. My work weeks allowed me to experience everything from life at a women's prison to life in the circus. I dreamed of seeing the world as a travel writer. Of course, I also dreamed of becoming a mother and when that dream became real with the birth of my son in 2012, I knew instantly I wanted to dedicate my time to him. 

In March 2013, I left my office reporting job to become a work-from-home religion columnist.
Today, my son is four years old. My daughter, Paige, will turn one in August. They are my heart. I love watching them learn and grow. I also miss the life I used to lead. I wrote this poem about finding the balance between pursuing my personal dreams and being a fully present mom.  



Finding Balance
by Sarah Whitman  

Mom said
What I set my mind to
I can do
But anxious thoughts
Interrupt progress
Be this
Do this
Because
You aren't enough
Because
You should be grateful
Because

Doubt stops time
Wanderlust paralyzes me
I accomplish nothing
No, I sit still
Hold the baby
Stare at the cartoon wall

Yes I miss dreaming
The Nile River
Build a school in Africa
See the Orangutan in Borneo
I want to
Be there
And here
Here where simple seconds
Cascade like Niagra Falls
Niagra, Niagra I use to cry
Trapped in a maze

Love set me free
Now that love is alive
Living breathing little voices
And I listen
I watch and I know
If I go
They go too
To Borneo
To the Castles
To the Adriatic sea
  





Sarah Whitman is a writer and mother living in Tampa, Fl. As the religion columnist for the Tampa Bay Times, she covers a broad range of faith and spiritual-related topics. She recently started a personal poetry page on Facebook and welcomes mothers to submit their writings to the site. To visit Mama Dickinson, click here. 





~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~ 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...