Skip to main content

I WALK WITH YOU by Tammy Takahashi

I wrote this poem in an attempt to put the ineffable, the world of feeling, emotion and heart, into words...

...because when I have a powerful experience, it is often my great desire to find a way to translate what I can from the “wordless realms” into a language that can be shared. I very recently had this experience during an intensive, month-long yoga course, a profound and moving reconnection with my grandmother, who passed away a few years ago and whom I miss very much. To find her presence within my spirit through embodied action – to feel her quite literally in my blood, bones and cells – awakened me to a world of possibility made entirely of love.



I Walk With You
 by Tammy Takahashi


I remember, as a little girl,
How you led us in our weekly prayers
On Friday nights, the holy Sabbath,

With the white head covering
You crocheted with your
brilliantly nurturing, strong hands

That I see so much of in
Your son’s my father’s,
And sometimes even in my own.

I watched you without thinking,
Heart, though, brimming with love
As you began your ritual:

Raise your hands three times
Palm to face; make circles like wings
Until your hands cover your eyes;

And then you recited the prayer
For lighting the two white candles,
Until the flickering flames

Lit your face, and you smiled,
The angel our matriarch,
And all was right in the world.

Now, these many years later,
On the other side of the world,
I’m trying to build myself whole,

Learning from other traditions;
I stand tall and stronger, maybe,
Than I ever have, so that something

Sets, or takes hold, and I’m ready
To greet what comes: I’m instructed
To slowly bring my arms up to my face,

And gently down again, remaining aware
Of my energetic space. You whisper, unheard,
But there you are, and I embody the movement;

I feel myself inhabiting your sacred space,
Sharing the flowing motions with you; I am in
The very heart of your spirituality

As we both draw the miracle of life
From the wondrous forces around us;
Knowing the depth of their presence,

You help me sweetly and humbly accept them,
And together, we allow our selves to become
That much stronger in their power,

What I have come to understand is faith.
Had I known, as a little girl,
How big and grand this love was

That you held inside you
Despite all the tragedy and loss
You were forced to endure,

That could have destroyed it forever,
How in the grace of this small gesture
Of reverence on Friday night

You contained inside of your beauty
Secrets there was every chance I may
Never have come to learn … but you knew,

I think, what I’d find, that this jewel
You harboured so unassumingly,
With such gentle wisdom, was for all of us,

Your love the keeper of our growth.
I know I don’t need to tell you
It’s with me now, as you are …

It’s still obscured some, but this is for you,
This salve, this balm of our connection,
As we move to the source of who we are.

The author, Tammy Takahashi, pictured with her grandmother




Tammy Takahashi is a Canadian writer, photographer and chronicler of life as it passes through us. Always a wanderer, she's endlessly mesmerized by people, places and everything in between; the world is somehow so vast and so small. She feels so lucky to have been able to work, learn, live and travel far and wide, writing, photographing and wellness-practicing along the way. She invites you to see some of her recent photography here and to connect with her on her writer's pagetwitter and her blog, There’s No War in World, here.




~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Gather

IMBOLC by Caroline Mellor

The inspiration for this poem came after I watched a magical winter sunset and full moonrise from the top of Firle Beacon in the South Downs... Unusually for me, I wrote the poem quite quickly and changed it very little before publishing it – perhaps the energies were working through my pen! Imbolc is the mid-point between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. It’s a fire festival which I particularly love because of its associations with Brigid, the Celtic Mother Goddess of arts and crafts, clear sight, healing, inspiration and nurturance of creative talents – something which, through my writing, I am always trying to connect with.  I also love Imbolc because, with so much darkness and negativity in the world today, it is a time for hope, potential, visioning and initiation. With love and blessings as the light returns. Photography by Chanel Baran IMBOLC    by Caroline Mellor I am the dream of awakening. I am the returning of the night.  I am the tough green

WINTER SOLSTICE: A GIFT OF LOVE by Carolyn Riker

I’ve had several days now of alone time… It is unusual and a gift that I couldn’t see until I breathed it. I have been able to watch the sun’s rise through the grey of dawn and smile at the flickers of frost melting on the waving boughs of evergreen. It’s unique to follow daylight as it traverses the tempo of a cat’s soft slumbering purr. Night comes swifter and the glow of candles and the flames of fire comfort me more than the steady stream of always-doing-more. As much as I resisted, I needed this break. I had no idea how much my body was trying to tell me   slow down   until the exhaustion settled in around my joints. My eyes swam in molasses. Heaviness of I-can’t-hold-out-much-long, walked me to the throne of my nest. It’s winter’s gift of self-nurturing and love. It’s been a quiet proclamation of femininity and a need for comfort foods. Lemon crisps and cranberry, white-chocolate shortbread dipped in tea; I felt a hint of being pampered without