Skip to main content

MY GODDESS STAMPS HER FEET by Alise Versella

From the editor: Today we offer you a Pushcart nominated poem by Alise Versella from our new book GODDESS: When She Rules, introduced by an excerpt from the book's Foreword by Sally Kempton:  

One of the great projects of our time has been the re-claiming of feminine divinity...

Sacred feminine spirituality offers a particularly brilliant view of the connection between the One Goddess, and the forms in which we can relate to her. A true lover of the sacred feminine can see her as Mary AND Kali, as Gaia AND Isis. 

As women have begun to emerge politically and socially, we’ve also begun trusting our own emerging wisdom about the sacred feminine. Not only are we learning to tune into our own bodies and to the natural world, but also to the radical philosophical implications of sacred feminism. Even more important, we’re recognizing through direct experience that Goddess can’t be confined to the physical or even the imaginal world, because she is the very impulse of life itself.
Click here for your own copy

My Goddess Stamps Her Feet
Alise Versella

Remember child
You were born from me
Earth bound boy blue from the cord
Blue like the sky that turns black only for the stars
You were birthed from my womb
Earth Mother Gaia expelled the titans from her uterus
Uranus
Didn’t know how to tame such chaos

She knows how to reign in chaos
She knows how to breathe underwater so as not to drown
She gave up the air from her lungs so you would scream
That first holy sound
How dare you quiet her?

This silence is not golden
This silence is the beginning rumblings of the plates
Before the earth starts shattering
I am shattering
Laying waste the poppy fields like Kali
Because I see the poetry in destruction
The same gods you pray to unleashed their floods
So pray to your gods now for communion

This is holy uprising
This is for all the wars fought against my body
For all the witches burned, this is the pyre for my transforming
Stand transfixed by the wings of my metamorphosis

My menstrual blood can revitalize that rotted apple twisted by the vine
Like Isis brought Osiris back to life
Can’t you see the flesh turn red?
Like the red of Lilith’s lips when she sipped Dionysus’ wine

They want you to lie
Cover up the talon tears of the canvas, paint the colors porcelain white
God forbid you decide
To rage and rage and cry
Like Mother Nature swirls her brush through the storm and decides to paint a hurricane
Deracinates the roots they dug into your vertebrae
Like a willow tree you bend and bend

I want holy revelation
For the way my body curves
I want you to see the temple I built from my words

What if god were a woman
Would you still fight for her cross with a bullet?
Or would you plant those strewn poppy seeds
Would you create something from the smoke and ash of the buildings you see crumbling
Would you string a ribbon ‘round the May Day pole,
Fix a maiden with a flower crown
Before our mothers turn to crones

Would you even notice if the moonlight dimmed and the owl’s feathers prevented him
From flying?

‘Cause Child it feels a lot like dying.

               *

(For your own copy of the GODDESS book, click here)

Artwork by Chanel Baran


Alise Versella:  I am a 27 year old poet living in the pinelands of New Jersey. Poetry has always been the ether in my veins and the oxygen I breathe. It is my Five Foot Voice, my Onion Heart, I am peeling back the layers of myself like a lotus unfurling its petals in order to grow fully in the waters that can sometimes weigh us down. I’m writing poetry to find myself, I’m writing poetry to save the world. My hope it that my poetry saves someone’s world from crumbling because I believe art has the power to hold us up when we can’t find the legs to stand. You can visit me at my Facebook page here or on my website here. And my third volume of poetry, A Few Wild Stanzas, is available here. 



~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...