Skip to main content

TALLIT by Sheri Lindner


 My mother created a gorgeous tallit for me, and this poem was a thank you to her… 

 A tallit is a Jewish ritual prayer shawl, worn during a prayer service.  

In our community, when we recite the Priestly Blessing ("May the Lord bless you and keep you…") we wrap our tallitot around the shoulders of those standing next to us, understanding that it is not priests or rabbis who are the bestowers of blessing, but we to each other.  

My mother and father together made tallits for each of my children as they came of age.  Being far beyond the coming of age, I did not feel I could ask for one of my very own (which I never had).  

When I did, my mother created a gorgeous one for me. I picture her working on it: an ancient tribeswoman, an artist, whose hands and vision bring about miracles.  

Tallit

And the daughter who was herself beyond two score and ten
saw that the woman’s fingers had begun to twist like branches of an ageless tree
and she asked this of the woman
and the woman said
yes
and the woman took up
the tool of her ancestors
and set to work,
made
thousands
of perfect stitches

each nestled snugly to the next
like lovers spooning in exquisite fit.
On the virgin white cloth
that the woman cursed for its slipperiness
the stitches multiplied
in mitotic unfolding
as if the silken threads
were spun from the very tips
of her fingers.
The story rose off the cloth,

a sculpted bas relief
that could be read by touch as much as by sight
spun for the younger one
as unique as a fingertip’s whorl
and mythic as the song sung on reedy shores
when being came into being:
begotten and begetter
beloved and lover
seeker on her way from Eden to Canaan
carried on the tides of history, the shoulders of her people
her own feet wet from the crossings made.

And the older woman gave the garment
To the younger
a swaddling cloth of pictographs
that wrapped the girl season upon season
in the gift of her own life.

                                                --Sheri Lindner
                                                  November 3, 2007
The author's Tallit



Sheri Lindner, Ph.D., a former teacher of English, and currently a clinical psychologist, is also a poet and essayist interested in the processes of development and maturation as they are reflected in Biblical stories and children’s literature.  Her writings have appeared in Jewish Currents, The Reconstructionist, Reconstructionism Today, Kerem, Jewish Women's Literary Annual, Poetica, Performance Poets Association Literary Review, Matzoh Ball Soup, Soul-Lit, The Ritual Well, and The New York Times.





~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~ 

Comments

  1. This Post is very helpful for me and thankful for sharing the information.

    Tallit

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...