Skip to main content

PEARLS OF THE SEA by Carolyn Riker

I’m a reflective person and even more so during winter months…

I fold inwards, similar to a seed in the earth. My mind, body and spirit need this time of year for introspection. I know for sure these last few weeks have been incredibly insightful. It’s almost as if I’m watching a black and white movie of my past and it’s finally integrating, into full color with my present. I believe we find pearls in our darkness and difficulties; one of the sea’s many gifts. I also believe the stars are where we came from. It is how we are connected. 

Every year seems epic until I review the current and I can hardly believe how much I’ve filled into the seams of what I thought was a frayed silk bag. Healing is amazing. It comes from inside and out. One of the tools I use to process the bursts of introspection, is writing. I write nearly every day. Most of what I write isn’t for others to read. It’s meant to be tucked next to my heart and processed. I did though achieve a heroic goal and started my personal writing blog. I’ve had this vision for nearly two years, and just last week I made it come alive. It’s another work in progress, although as I tweak and adjust I can feel the creative juices stitch threads of explosive possibilities.

It’s been a full year of exhilaration and transformation. I wish I could say it was all the ‘pretty stuff’ that we seem to love and savor. I don’t work that way. I dig deep into the stratosphere and find the ugliest elements possible and help them to become clear. We all have to face our inner turmoil some way. I prefer real. I’ve let go of so much and gained more. I’m reminded each day begins with the sunrise and sets with the gift of the moon. If I could, I would do an elliptical dance between the two. Instead, I’ll write to begin a New Year.

Painting by J.W Waterhouse

Pearls of the Sea
by Carolyn Riker

Lessons given and unravel
on the cusp of understanding.
The light shelters a heart hidden in the dark.

Letting go of expectations.
Revisiting old traditions and creating new.
We crumble to our knees and
wings shield us from the storms.

Revelations spiral counterclockwise.
Here we find strength in unusual ways.
The magic of our wings,
finds we can soar.

My ship is always sailing,
in a bottle along uncharted seas.
The messages we receive are often subtle but
clearly what we need.

And so we begin this year
with blinks of yesterday leading on a path of now.
We hold the swirling energy
and when ready, sip the streams of wisdom.

It’s in the knowing we find the answers.
We breathe the messages and
birth pearls of the sea,
all guided by the stars
found in you and me.

'The Mermaid' by Waterhouse

Carolyn Riker, MA is a private tutor, writer and a poet. She is also a Certified Instructor for Journal Writing and provides workshops. Carolyn finds comfort and balance in her kids, nature, music and her sweet cat Copper. She can be seen sipping soy lattes and nibbling on dark chocolate. She’s a regular columnist for Rebelle Society  and Elephant Journal. She also has a personal blog here. You can also visit Carolyn’s facebook page here. 

Comments

  1. A gracious and beautiful reflection with which to begin this year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracie. Much love to you. ~ Carolyn

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...