Skip to main content

THE SEASON OF MY HEART by Brigid Clare Oak

Though there are certain days of the year, which are typically associated with New Beginnings…

For a very long time now, my day of such celebration has been the first of February: Brigid's Day. I have found great inspiration and direction for my life in the Life and Legends of Brigid of Ireland. Known and loved as both Goddess and Saint, She has been my spiritual Companion and Muse for nearly twenty years, and I honor Her in the spiritual name I have chosen for myself.

My children have grown up knowing Brigid's Day as a very special time for good food and drink, the joy and magic of ancient folk practices, and a focus on prayer, gratitude, and blessing. This Day is, in a way, the First Day of the Season of my Heart. 
Photograph of the author's Brigid's Day Altar

The Season of my Heart
by Brigid Clare Oak

I count my blessings
This Day~
As numerous, it seems,
as the thousand
glints and gleams
of silver-white flecks,
frolicking frozen
upon February’s first winds.
The Season of my heart
begins anew as I consider
the beauty and bounty of my life;
The people I love
The places that live within me
The movement of soul
and delights of the senses…
The fine art of the Sacred Ordinary.
All is animated
and sustained
in the Highest Grace;
calling ever deeper
into the Greater Heart
from Which we all burst into birth.
O, ponder what your life is worth!
Far more than
a thousand glints and gleams!
Far more than
all the beauty and wonder
this earth can contain!
Beyond the Majesty of Matter
lies the Origin; the Flame…
And each of us,
made of Love;
a letter in the Unutterable Name,
and heir of the Inescapable Good.
Pictured is the author on Brigid's Day



Brigid Clare Oak lives a quiet life of poetry, prayer, and presence. She is a liturgist, vocalist, and composer of spiritual songs, and works also in the field of elder care and companioning. Brigid is mother to three beloved children; two grown sons and a teenage daughter. Together they enjoy copious amounts of tea, laughter, and love. 








~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...