Skip to main content

JUST ONE OUNCE by Carol Reedy Rogero

This poem came from talking to a friend who’s going through a difficult time physically, mentally and emotionally…

I shared it with my friend privately and was then going to post it on my Facebook page with the thought that it might speak to others as well.  As I started to do that, my feed opened up to the post of another friend who was voicing tremendous self doubt, from that same address of hopelessness. So instead of posting it generally, I posted it as a reply to her. She was overwhelmed with gratitude. For me it was as if the universe was affirming that I was doing the right thing, and for her it was proof that the universe did hear!

I’ve been at that noisy, despairing place myself, and I know from experience that you can’t move forward, overcome obstacles, or have any kind of success if you don’t have hope. Without hope, the pain of the situation not only continues, and we begin to spiral into a soul sucking vortex of negativity that is difficult to escape.

The good news is that we don’t need a lot of hope. Just a small amount will do. That’s where the “one ounce” comes in. Hopelessness clouds our vision of life as if we are carrying an ominous burden everywhere we go. Hopelessness even presents itself as a physical condition, stealing our smiles and causing us to walk as if we’re shouldering concrete stressing all of our bodily systems.

The good news is that just one ounce of hope has great power!  A declaration of hope starts to immediately wipe away the black clouds and allows us to recognize, once again, the beauty in the universe that was present all along.  Options and opportunities that were always there seem to announce themselves anew when we stop doubting our strength to persevere. Suddenly, we have choices where seemingly none existed before. Hope has worked its magic and its existence in us shows. Now the path we must take doesn’t seem quite as daunting. The river we must cross seems a little less wide. Just one ounce. That’s all it takes.

Just One Ounce
by Carol Reedy Rogero

To all who are journeying
on broken bridges
with uneven footing
burnt and charred
across tempestuous waters
through raging choking flames
with ghosts of yesterday's despair
screaming in their ears.
Treacherous tides of self doubt
nor cyclonic winds of anguish
will overcome.
Your destiny resides not in the noise of now.
Your kismet answers not to the voice of doom.
All that is needed is one ounce of hope.
In solitary silence
raise the flag of victory
for no apparent cause.
Invite only those with love and acceptance tattooed on their heart
to a gala for you
the brave the strong
the one who was meant for so much more.
Declare your one ounce.
One solitary ounce.
You are enough.
You have enough.
Just one ounce.
The universe will hear.
Photograph by Dennis Ilin
Carol Reedy Rogero: “By day I’m a 6th grade public school teacher, grandmother, mother, wife, daughter and sister. By night I’m a 3am poet and writer, a traveler, just like you, walking my path, trying to stop and smell the roses, be conscious of and respectful to my fellow travelers, and read the road signs along the way.  Each day I pray for guidance (there’s where the pedestrian life and walking with God comes into the picture) to make the “right” turns, do some good, and leave no litter behind.  My happy place is by the ocean, which I’m lucky enough to live near and where you’ll find me on most sunny Sundays, meditating, practicing yoga, writing or scouring the beach for trash and heart shaped coquina. I love to read, write, travel and discover the connections that we all have with each other. I blog here, where I hope my readers find something inspirational that speaks to their heart and touches their soul.

~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~

            

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Gather

IMBOLC by Caroline Mellor

The inspiration for this poem came after I watched a magical winter sunset and full moonrise from the top of Firle Beacon in the South Downs... Unusually for me, I wrote the poem quite quickly and changed it very little before publishing it – perhaps the energies were working through my pen! Imbolc is the mid-point between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. It’s a fire festival which I particularly love because of its associations with Brigid, the Celtic Mother Goddess of arts and crafts, clear sight, healing, inspiration and nurturance of creative talents – something which, through my writing, I am always trying to connect with.  I also love Imbolc because, with so much darkness and negativity in the world today, it is a time for hope, potential, visioning and initiation. With love and blessings as the light returns. Photography by Chanel Baran IMBOLC    by Caroline Mellor I am the dream of awakening. I am the returning of the night.  I am the tough green

WINTER SOLSTICE: A GIFT OF LOVE by Carolyn Riker

I’ve had several days now of alone time… It is unusual and a gift that I couldn’t see until I breathed it. I have been able to watch the sun’s rise through the grey of dawn and smile at the flickers of frost melting on the waving boughs of evergreen. It’s unique to follow daylight as it traverses the tempo of a cat’s soft slumbering purr. Night comes swifter and the glow of candles and the flames of fire comfort me more than the steady stream of always-doing-more. As much as I resisted, I needed this break. I had no idea how much my body was trying to tell me   slow down   until the exhaustion settled in around my joints. My eyes swam in molasses. Heaviness of I-can’t-hold-out-much-long, walked me to the throne of my nest. It’s winter’s gift of self-nurturing and love. It’s been a quiet proclamation of femininity and a need for comfort foods. Lemon crisps and cranberry, white-chocolate shortbread dipped in tea; I felt a hint of being pampered without