Skip to main content

FEARLESS by Ayala Zarfjian

 “Fearless” is about my journey…

It’s a poem about the mistakes I made, the shame I carried. I was in a complicated relationship and when it became abusive I did not leave thinking that I can help the other person. I finally left but not before losing my dignity. I had to get over a divorce, losing both my parents in a period of fifteen months and reinventing myself.

Fearless
by Ayala Zarfjian

Our bodies
carry our biographies
she says.
Her voice gentle and soothing
as she instructs us into
a yoga pose.
The walls are green
a mix of
jade and avocado.
Our bodies remember
where we have been
and who we are.
They hold the scars and shame.
I breathe
and remember the collisions
of my soul.
Does my body remember
when I’ve been beaten,
even though my scars have faded.
Does it remember despair and hunger
in my darkest moments.
I was a fearless young girl
that followed her heart.
I have traveled the road
of humiliation and determination,
highs and lows.
My body remembers
the joy of the birth of my children,
holding them for the first time
as my soul lifted.
The sorrow of my parents dying,
the conflicts of religion
and spirituality.
The hopscotch between
two continents
that were once both home to me.
How I felt anxiety and loneliness
until I built a new world.
My soul rises,
it’s always known where I belong
and how I feel.
I always knew,
never needed to search
for my identity.
I am complicated,
a contradiction
a survivor.
I have always followed
my heart.
My words have guided me,
lifted me,
gave me a voice.
I wish to leave the words behind
not half-truths
but honest confessions.
I want to wear my shame
as well as I wear my triumphs.
My love will linger in my
boys hearts and
on my lovers lips.
My love is what defines me.


Ayala Zarfjian: I write a poetry blog called, A Sun Kissed Life, which you may visit here. As long as I can remember I have loved writing and questioning our journey in the universe. I am a mother of two boys, one I raised mostly as a single parent and the other I raised with my current husband. My older son is an emergency room physician and my younger one is in high school. I am a jewelry designer and I own a jewelry store. I interact with a lot of different people on a regular basis and I love to listen to their stories. You may connect with me on Facebook if you wish. 




~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~

Comments

  1. Ayala, yours are the words and the strength of a warrior. You have made such an inspiring journey. Your two boys are a testament to your strength. I applaud you......the most for getting out, and being free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are always inspirational, Ayala. Within your poetry are currents of deep wisdom from a woman I always find as beautiful, simple, & strong. You have a pure heart that can love beyond measure. Thanks for the poem! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelvin. I appreciate your love and support.

      Delete
  3. This is exquisite, Ayala. I love the opening line, "Our bodies carry our biographies."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, courageous testimony of all the we embody as human beings. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you and your beautiful heart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...