Skip to main content

THOUGHTS OF A HURTING HEART by Camellia Stadts


Editors Note: We share this poem in honor of National Suicide Prevention Week. The poems we feature this week are meant to raise awareness toward this cause. 

My life, lived with depression and thoughts of suicide, has not been easy...

This darkness has been with me for as long as I can remember. At 60 years old, as I look back and think to myself, "why am I still here?" What strength was inside me to daily fight this demon? All I know is that first off I have always had an awareness of God in my life which has given me strength and faith to continue when I felt like giving up.

Second, I began journal writing which released all those dark thoughts and feelings which had been bottled up inside. Third, finding the strength (through prayer and journal writing) to seek counseling and to start taking an anti-depression medication. 

I have written this poem for National Suicide Prevention Week in honor of my struggle, and all those who fight to stay alive.


Thoughts of a Hurting Heart
by Camellia Stadts

Thoughts of death grow
more welcoming every day.

The things that are in my mind
and the numbness in my body
are easy to keep to myself.

My whole being is shrouded in a dark cloud
both inside and out. 

The loneliness is
unbearable. 

I spend my days and nights
deciding on how to end my life.

There are so many choices. So many
ways to “end it all”. Those three words
are so comforting to me. 
Morbid? No…
They are welcoming.

There are moments when
I want to scream 
or reach out and hold someone…
but I don’t.  

Or better yet, gather rage that I don’t even realize is there
and just slap a smiling face HARD!

Will I end it today? 
Or tomorrow? 

Why wait? 
Release the pain now….
~
If you are contemplating suicide: 
Please stay! Tomorrow needs you.
Watch the views below to hear why:

đź’—



Camellia Stadts: I have a passion for writing reading, knitting and crocheting. I live in Ferndale, MI and am 62 years old. I have a B.A in English from Marygrove College in Detroit. I have two grown children: my son, Nick and daughter, Carolyn. I also enjoy spending time with my grandson, Cameren. 




*For submission guidelines, click here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...