Skip to main content

The Terrible Awful by Alise Versella

I wrote this poem two weeks after Robin Williams died…

I was feeling the immense heaviness of the world around me and its sadness. I was feeling the pains of those closest to me: the failure in not being able to help them. I was feeling like a failure. And I couldn't even cry about any of it.

Sometimes we see tears as weakness but they're not. They're a beautiful sweet release that is so necessary. Society has strayed so far passed the simple, beautiful things. This poem is about getting back to them: Not subjecting ourselves to a cancerous society's ridicule. But of relishing in that which makes life worth living: music nature, simplicity, and a few wild stanzas. 

The Terrible Awful Keeps Me Stuck in My Head
 
Life cut short, or too much life but like fireworks set off in reverse?
Why is it so wrong to feel anything but happiness?
It’s okay to want to cry and scream and smash the vase
It’s okay to want to be left alone
It’s okay, it’s okay, it’s okay…
When is it not?
I feel so compressed upon my chest
So much like I can’t get air
I’ve been finding it harder to cry
Tears few and far between
They just don’t come just the choking snub
Stuck in my throat
What I wouldn’t give to cry it just feels so good to let it out
But the tears are stuck like everything else
I can’t spill the tears
Can’t write the words
Can’t paint till the flecks are stuck under my nails
I am stuck feeling uncreative
Pent up and frustrated
Bored and in need of soul healing
I need nature
I crave it
I need silence
I want to meditate
My muscles are tense
Give me therapeutic deep tissue
My stomach hurts
Give me homegrown, home cooked, vibrant sapling growth
I am sick of the unbearable feeling of guilt
The pressure of having to please
The urgency in forsaking my beliefs for others decisions
The feeling of a need for a reason
To explain all my ‘why not’s’
I hate the guilt in feeling judged
I live in a world where cancer is the norm
Where everything is a carcinogen
I just want to get back to a place where something’s pure:

Pure wildflowers and dew drowned grass
Pure sunshine dappling aquamarine waves
Pushed by a milk moon to dig its foam into the sand
Pure wild drumbeats and whiskey honey voices
And tambourines and slide guitar pounding with my heartbeats
Sprawled out in a sail boat blanket on a grassy sea of Central Park
Hiking canyon hills meandering from the magic cities
Old Hollywoodland and Broadway
Meditating through the winds of Big Sur
Typing away at alphabet letters on antique keys in bohemian Paris
Growing tanner and fuller on
Olive oil soaked bread and tomatoes and wine and pasta
That I garnished myself
Inhaling the scents of herbs and lavender
Window boxes full of marigolds
Fires at dusk to light our dreams up
 
Be pure
Be simple
Be free
And make of this life a few wild stanzas.
~

(This poem appears in Alise's new book "A Few Wild Stanzas", available here


Alise Versella:  I am a 24 year old poet living in the pinelands of New Jersey. Poetry has always been the ether in my veins and the oxygen I breathe. It is my Five Foot Voice, my Onion Heart, I am peeling back the layers of myself like a lotus unfurling its petals in order to grow fully in the waters that can sometimes weigh us down. I’m writing poetry to find myself, I’m writing poetry to save the world. My hope it that my poetry saves someone’s world from crumbling because I believe art has the power to hold us up when we can’t find the legs to stand. You can visit me at my Facebook page here or on my website here. And my third volume of poetry, A Few Wild Stanzas, is available here. 



~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Gather

IMBOLC by Caroline Mellor

The inspiration for this poem came after I watched a magical winter sunset and full moonrise from the top of Firle Beacon in the South Downs... Unusually for me, I wrote the poem quite quickly and changed it very little before publishing it – perhaps the energies were working through my pen! Imbolc is the mid-point between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. It’s a fire festival which I particularly love because of its associations with Brigid, the Celtic Mother Goddess of arts and crafts, clear sight, healing, inspiration and nurturance of creative talents – something which, through my writing, I am always trying to connect with.  I also love Imbolc because, with so much darkness and negativity in the world today, it is a time for hope, potential, visioning and initiation. With love and blessings as the light returns. Photography by Chanel Baran IMBOLC    by Caroline Mellor I am the dream of awakening. I am the returning of the night.  I am the tough green

WINTER SOLSTICE: A GIFT OF LOVE by Carolyn Riker

I’ve had several days now of alone time… It is unusual and a gift that I couldn’t see until I breathed it. I have been able to watch the sun’s rise through the grey of dawn and smile at the flickers of frost melting on the waving boughs of evergreen. It’s unique to follow daylight as it traverses the tempo of a cat’s soft slumbering purr. Night comes swifter and the glow of candles and the flames of fire comfort me more than the steady stream of always-doing-more. As much as I resisted, I needed this break. I had no idea how much my body was trying to tell me   slow down   until the exhaustion settled in around my joints. My eyes swam in molasses. Heaviness of I-can’t-hold-out-much-long, walked me to the throne of my nest. It’s winter’s gift of self-nurturing and love. It’s been a quiet proclamation of femininity and a need for comfort foods. Lemon crisps and cranberry, white-chocolate shortbread dipped in tea; I felt a hint of being pampered without