Skip to main content

INTO THE DARK AGAIN by Rosemerry Wahtola Trommer

 Here we are, entering into the longest nights of the year…

Though we have created our world so that we might have light all the time, the darkness still finds its way into our psyche, into our soul. What a gift it is to wrestle with ourselves, though it doesn’t always feel like a gift.

There are two poems that radically shifted my own perception of darkness: Rumi’s “Night Goes Back” and Rilke’s “You Darkness.” In both of the poems, the poets declare to the night and the dark, “I love you.” I remember at first being shocked by this, but perhaps that shock is part of what helped to cut a door into darkness that I, too, could eventually walk through. 

Into the Dark Again
by Rosemerry Wahtola Trommer

Dark and getting darker—
nothing to do but to make of the body
a home for darkness,
to open every secret drawer
where we hide our private darknesses.
Who knows what might happen then?
How immeasurable we are. It is only
terrifying until it becomes freedom.
Grace comes in the strangest costumes.
Did you really think you didn’t need help?
This night, stay awake.
Some things we can see no other way.


Western Slope Poet Laureate  Rosemerry Wahtola Trommer's  poetry has appeared in O Magazine, in back alleys, on A Prairie Home Companion and in her children’s lunch boxes. Her most recent collection is “The Less I Hold.” She’s taught poetry for Think 360, Craig Hospital, Hospice, Ah Haa School for the Arts, Weehawken Arts, Camp Coca Cola, and many other organizations. She served as San Miguel County’s first poet laureate and directed the Telluride Writers Guild for 10 years. She has won the Fischer Prize, has twice won the Writer’s Studio Literary Contest, won the Dwell Press Solstice Prize, was a finalist for the Colorado Book Award, and has been nominated three times for a Pushcart Prize. She curates “Heard of Poets,” an interactive poetry map of Western Colorado poets. Since 1999, she’s performed with Telluride’s seven-woman acappella group, Heartbeat, and since 2006, she’s written a poem a day. Her MA is in English Language and Linguistics. Favorite one-word mantra: Adjust. Visit her website here for ideas about writing, and to read her daily poems click here. 


~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~ 

Comments

  1. Oy! It's been nearly three years; my apologies for the delay. (Time is interesting stuff.)
    I have a personal and deep connection with this poem. It's a poem I've memorized, and continually recite to myself, ensuring it never leaves me. A co-worker who was going through yet another rough patch received a copy of this poem, anonymously, (I'm not saying who might have sent it to him.), letting him know he's far from alone.
    So I'm so delighted seeing it's made its way into yet another circle, for, "Some things we can see no other way."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...