Skip to main content

THE THRUM OF HIS PRAYER by Leslie Caplan

 I wrote this poem last year when my son was leaving Bali after returning there, to his birthplace, for five years…

It's a long story, but to put it in a nutshell, my son is half Balinese and went there to reclaim his birthright. I had lived there for eight years when he was born, integrating and becoming a deep, intrinsic part of the culture. To this day, I stay linked, but when he left, I felt my lifeline to that island fade a little. I grieved his departure. I understood that it was time for him to leave, just like I knew when it was time for him to journey there as a young man. It was his rite of passage and in many ways, it was also mine.  

Although my own blood is not Balinese, my afterbirth is buried there next to the family temple along with all generations past. I am considered blood to them, through a marriage that dismantled, and forevermore, through my son whose blood is mixed with an ancient, three thousand year old culture that calls me home every day.  I wrote this the day he left Bali. Me, on the other side of the world, but my spirit was there witnessing this ritual. 

The Thrum of his Prayer 
by Leslie Caplan 

The restless angst of spirit calls you 
to sit still

As you pace the room up and down the walls

your ancestors weep for your departure

And as you leave,

the pulse of my lifeline fades

just a little

Like a voice muffled behind closed doors.

You return from one place to another
Wings stretch across sky
where rolling hills turn volcanic
and dry crisp terrain turn wet with rain

As roots slither beneath
the surface of Earth,

the thrum of your prayer
join your hands together
Swirls of incense smoke billow
from the offering you make.

You lean into the whispers
and with holy water, adhere dried grains of rice
to your third eye



As you inhale the wisdom born to you, 

you kneel at the altar that first placed
the soles of your feet to the ground
You are closer now
to the land, to the flower petals that symbolize
a thousand of your lifetimes

Long fingers reach inside layers of smoke
to adorn your hair with flowers.
You bow to the light already inside you.
I bear witness, the glint of obsidian in your eyes
They come from me,
yet deeper still,

they are from the same earth
that buried your placenta
deep inside the chamber
of a three thousand year old Banyan tree

This rite of passage is complete.
You leave there a man
as the child in you remembers
the many languages of your tongue
Wet with flavor
Wet with spiced earth
Wet with knowing that when you leave, 

you are never gone.



Embodying the strength of the warrior,

you can move freely now
between the hemispheres of your belonging.


Leslie Caplan is a passionate writer and has been published internationally. She is a professional Writing Coach and editor who encourages and evokes the strongest, deepest expression of the writer's voice and heart.  She also facilitates writing workshops where writing is used as a tool for revealing and healing.  She lives in the small town of Ashland, Oregon and you can connect with her on her website here. 

~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...