Skip to main content

THE WRITER IN ME by Isabelle Andres

I was walking in the woods, introspecting about what it meant for me to be a writer…

All of the sudden this poem came to me. It happened pretty much all at once, and so I stopped walking, picked up my pen and the book I was reading at the time, and I let the lines write themselves in front of my eyes from the bottom of my heart. Writing poetry and fiction is a rather new thing to me and so I was quite amazed to see what my heart had to say about what it means for me to write.


The Writer In Me
by Isabelle Andres 

The writer in me tends to be solitary:
Armed with her rucksack bag,
Her pens and her note pads,
She embarks on her own adventures
Never too sure of what she will find,
She wanders around the globe,
Seeking new emotions, new worlds
Seeking the new in all its allure.

The writer in me tends to be solitary:
For she travels the spaces of her mind,
Attuned to the rhythms of her heart,
Listening to the calling of her soul,
Guided by the words of the Universe,
Carrying the heavy luggage of her past,
She forever treasures the nows,
For they are both her fate and new luggage.

The writer in me tends to be solitary:
She loses herself in the labyrinth of her life,
She knows her time here is no rehearsal,
For she is there to make sense of her maze,
For she is there to share what she finds.
She knows at times some doors must be shut,
So new chapters can have a chance to be written,
So her story can begin to take shape and begin to be read.

The writer in me tends to be solitary:
She loves to loose herself with herself,
For her inspiration alights while she is there,
But rare are those times she is truly lonely,
For she paints new worlds with her words,
For she meets new faces through her chapters,
For she feels new emotions through her stories,
For she creates magic with her ink.

The writer in me tends to be solitary:
Yet, she creates her big family on her journey,
She knows love is no matter of blood,
She knows all she meets hold something for her,
She knows she too has something to offer,
She knows that she is them and they are she,
She knows such meetings were meant to be,
She welcome all in her heart family.

The writer in me tends to be solitary:
Yet in secret she forever dreams,
That one day her worlds will be read,
That one day her stories will be shared,
Yet in secret she forever dreams,
That when she goes, she will for ever stays,
Through the bit of herself that she gave away,
So subtly yet so sharply throughout her stories.

The writer in me tends to be solitary:
But like all those who surround her,
She is after all also a human soul,
And there exist those odd chapters in her story,
Where she can truly feel really lonely,
When she loses touch with her worlds,
When she can no longer find her ink,
When she fears that gloomy blank story.

It is in those odd moments of her life,
She secretly wishes for her friends,
To seek the writers within them,
To gently embrace her with their worlds,
To gently cuddle her with their words,
It is in those odd moments of her life,
She seeks refuge out of her worlds,
Into the worlds of those who like her,
Like to call themselves writers.

Isabelle Andres: A few years ago, I decided to embark on a new journey, a rather personal one, one of self-discovery and so I began to let go of all I once was to become all I am and will be. Along the way, I have discovered myself a passion for photography, writing, reading and dancing amongst many other things. I find my inspiration in Nature and contemporary art and I love to explore the creative and spiritual spheres. From introspective journaling I somehow began to venture in the land of poetry. My first poem came to me whilst I was absorbed as I often am in a moment of Nature contemplation. Recently I have begun to venture in the land of fictional writing and I now secretly dream that one day I will be the proud author of a novel. I can be found on my website Belle Pan’s Maze and on my writer’s page on Facebook.

~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...