Skip to main content

LISTENING TO MY INNER VOICE by Carolyn Riker

It was a moment of indelible clarity, staring out into an expansive sea; sunlight refracted and wisdom was felt...

Waves were both gentle and at times simultaneous crashing with my inner turmoil. And yet, I felt comforted; nature and I were in harmony.

I took long, quiet and lonely walks on the beach. Tidal pools were exploding with life and would soon return to the sea; a symbolic push and pull. Life and death. I felt it all beneath my shaking feet. It was there I surrendered and listened to the deep, deep wells of my heart.

For two days I visited the sand, the waves and the expansive voices of the universe. I listened to the wind as it blew steadily and my eyes were constantly watery. By the end of the second full day, I had become one with the ocean and acted on the insights given to me.

I had to leave a difficult space and situation.

I needed to reconnect to the pieces of me scattered; individual grains of sand mixed with battered bits of brilliant barnacles. My heart could not bear one more moment of incongruity. I had been living a lie, condemning my soul and unknowingly suffocating my creativity. It took a remote beach to find my soul’s quest and to hear my inner wisdom.

Listening to My Inner Voice
by Carolyn Riker

I let you into my heart;
a secret sacred space.

My trust in you was assuredly there.
I prayed, it wouldn’t be misused.

I gave pearls of veracity;
melodiously wrapped within my quiet self.

We were parallel lines drifting;
no longer converging but repelling
my synergy fully depleted.

I could give no more, knowing
superficial corrodes my intuitive helm.

My soul lamented, until I finally understood…

I must navigate the depths of the stars, land and sea.
My time had come to return to my dreams and be me.



Carolyn Riker, MA is a private tutor, writer and a poet. She is also a Certified Instructor for Journal Writing and provides workshops. Carolyn finds comfort and balance in her kids, nature, music and her sweet cat Copper. She can be seen sipping soy lattes and nibbling on dark chocolate. She’s a regular columnist for Rebelle Society  and Elephant Journal. She also has a personal blog here. You can also visit Carolyn’s facebook page here. 








~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~ 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...