Skip to main content

THE GREATEST GIFT by BethAnne Kapansky Wright

I am recently married and wrote this poem for our wedding…

It is a reflection on the nature of love and the many shapes and sizes in which we can discover love's multitude of mysteries. 

As I was composing the words, I was reminded that long before my path ever intersected with my husbands, my most profound lessons on love came from simply learning to love myself. Love truly is an inside job. And when we start to figure out how to create space in our hearts for compassion, generosity, kindness and grace- most of all towards ourselves- we become better equipped to love others and see our love multiply and create a beautiful ripple effect in our wake. 

Last, the final line is a nod to a line from the movie Moulin Rouge- sometimes truth comes in unexpected places! And this truth acknowledges that one of the greatest lessons we can learn is to love and be loved. Whatever form, that love may take. 
Pictured is the author, BethAnne Kapansky Wright
The Greatest Gift
by BethAnne Kapansky Wright

Life doesn't give us
the capacity to love,
so we can keep it inside
and watch it diminish.

Love, 
is meant to be multiplied
by giving it away. 

Life doesn't give us
the ability to love
so we can squander it
on doubt and fear. 

Love,
is meant to be shared
so it grows exponentially.

Life doesn't give us
a voice to love,
so we can stay silent
and hold back our words.

Love,
is meant to be declared
out loud with every 
breath of being. 

Life doesn't give us
a heart to love,
so we can build walls
and fence it in.

Love,
is meant to be boundless;
There are no walls. 

For love is not
a prescription,
but our redemption,
that is lived and learned,
in a million different ways. 

It is the glue
that makes us stick 
to one another
and keeps us 
coming back for more.

It is the magic
that makes 
the world light up
with bright possibility 
and soft mystery,
and the hope that 
keeps us pressing on-
even when we don't
always know why
we are pressing.

It is the 
the only thing
strong enough
to peer into the dark,
and make a way-
to help us find
our light.

And it is the 
sacred grace,
that brought you and I
to this time and space,
so we can stand 
here united and know
beyond all else-

The greatest gift
you'll ever learn,
is just to love 
and be loved 
in return. 
Pictured is the author and her husband


BethAnne Kapansky Wright: I am a Clinical Psychologist who enjoys writing, illustrating and creating. I specialize in dealing with women's issues, life transitions, trauma, grief work, and finding healing in our relationships, especially our relationship with our self. I am a big believer in authenticity, intuition, the power of love, finding laughter and joy, and learning to be more fully human. My essays and poetry have been published in a variety of publications, and I am the author of the poetry books Cranberry Dusk, Freebird Fridays (November 2016, Golden Dragonfly Press) and Lamentations of the Sea: 111 passages on grief, love, loss and letting go. I currently lives in Anchorage, Alaska with my soul mate and our fur kids and my beloved mountains and trails. I can be found on Facebook or on my blog: Sunshine in Winter, here. 



~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~ 

Comments

  1. It is indeed "the glue" that makes us stick, no matter what trials com our way. Your words touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes on this November day. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ginny! It is indeed the glue, and I so appreciate your kind comments. <3 BethAnne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Invest in Ripple on eToro the World’s Leading Social Trading Network.

    Join 1,000,000's who have already discovered easier methods for investing in Ripple...

    Learn from experienced eToro traders or copy their orders automatically!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...