Skip to main content

I WAS NOT ALONE by Heather Awad

This poem’s story dates back to 1999, a pivotal point in my life…

That time was pivotal in terms of accepting my life on larger scales and learning to cope with everything that had come before and what I wanted my life to be moving ahead. It was a time of deep self-reflection and rejection from many who I believed cared about me. 

It was also a time of feeling the loss of myself, slipping into unrealistic visions and expectations, forming them into realities, suffering through disbelief and denial. When there was no one to turn to, I turned to spirituality and faith for support, comfort and love.

I Was Not Alone

It was spring
the sun brightened
the flowers on my bedspread
kept watered by the heavy flow
of tears that gushed from my eyes.
Tears that would never end
from a heartache so tangible
it built a home inside me.
I prayed it would release
its clutching hold, freeing
a pain that burrowed
deep in my soul, consuming
my weak-beating heart
polluting my fragile veins.
My woeful cries were not
heard until a brilliant light
answered in those darkest
desperate hours,
come to assuage my pain
apply healing warmth
to this lump of despair
growing inside my chest
becoming a cancer
on my inner peace;
a wound so deep
the scar may never heal.
But the light, it came
It comforted
and I knew I wasn’t alone.  

Heather Awad: I began writing poetry in my early twenties. It started as a way to express deep emotional feelings I could not release verbally. Very bound by my own voice, poetry became the medium for me to speak. It remained my salvation in healing hurts, and in learning to deal with strong emotions such as love and loss. Throughout the last ten years, it has been an up and down process of writing consistently and seriously, to letting it slip away in place of other more pressing demands. The most prominent time when I returned to writing poetry, was this past January 2014 when I began using photographs of various kinds to incite myself and awaken creativity, and I have been engaged non-stop since. I have taken numerous online poetry and creative writing classes over the past year, and continue to do so. Much of my poetry can be found on my Facebook page here.

~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~ 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...