Skip to main content

LEARNING TO DRIVE by Mary Bast

My mother’s father was a physician, her mother a descendant of early English settlers…

 My father was the rough-cut son of immigrant German stock—my grandmother a short, fat, bossy sort and and my grandfather a tall, skinny, quiet man. I don't know my maternal grandparents' view of this bright, farm-grown young man, because they died in a car crash before I was born.

I can guess they hoped their middle daughter would find a better catch if they moved her away from La Feria, Texas—population 1,594. She went to college in Chicago, as they directed. Once there, however, she schemed to move closer to Texas A & M, where my father  was studying agriculture. She went to three different colleges in as many years and finally—after her third year away—they were married.

Mom saw through Dad’s tough exterior, and would act as go-between, but my father, enforcer of his own rules, scared me when I was growing up. Though he is long dead, in my seventh decade I still see aspects of the timid little girl who didn’t learn to challenge the rules or find her true voice until she was well into her fifties.
The author at her high school graduation

Learning to Drive
When he taught me to drive, 

my Lieutenant Colonel Dad

commanded me to learn

on a stick shift. No namby-

pamby automatic ride. We

practiced on country roads

where he trained me to swerve

at will, to maintain control.



This is how he lived his life:

grabbing the wheel. In later years,

hands curled, arthritic claws,

he would not stop driving,

changing course. I never knew

when harsh weather would force

my slide into a lie, fearing

a head-on collision, his sharp nod

the only brake light needed.



I was always missing curves.


I wonder if his ashes press

cinders to dust as they plot,

in Arlington National Cemetery,

a military coup, part of a convoy,

commando spirits planning

to eject hazardous materials

on my wishy-washy life:

a car-jacking, an explosion. 
The author's father


Mary Bast: "I write poetry, found poetry, memoir, and flash fiction. A Wergle Flomp Humor Poetry Contest finalist, my work has appeared in print and online journals, including 100 Word Story, Bacopa Literary Review, Blue Monday Review, Connotation Press, Haunted Waters Press, Pea River Journal’s "Remaking Moby Dick," right hand pointing, shaking like a mountain, Six Minute Magazine, Slow Trains, Survivor’s Review, The Found Poetry Review, The Writing Disorder, and Wicked Alice. When my hands are not on computer keys they’re holding brush to canvas, inspired by North Central Florida’s woodlands, lakes, and prairies. You may read more of my poetry here, visit my memoir blog and my art site. Or connect with me on my Facebook page here. I live in Gainesville, Florida."

~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...