Skip to main content

MY HEART ONLY WANTS by Maureen Kwiat Meshenberg

(Editor's Note: With Mother's Day just around the corner, I'd like to offer you this poem by Maureen, which caused me to reflect on the many ways in which we women engage our nurturing, mothering energy and love with one another, all the time, in the friendships we share. And it is so precious to us too! What would we do without it?)

This poem was written for someone very dear to my heart…

It pains me so, when a soul is so lost in the fear and in darkness that they can not reach the light. This poem, like a prayer, calls out for this dear one so close to me; and yet there are many times our inner one can be calling out these words to our selves.

My Heart Only Wants

my heart only wants,
to reach for you-
hold your soul,
tenderly towards me,
and  give you love-
effortlessly,
what grinds against-
our fabric of trust,
more than what-
comes up for us,
and turns over-
in our minds,
and hearts.
I’ve made my mistakes,
I‘ve learned to crawl-
and walk,
but you hold yours-
so tight,
they build up walls-
I reach to hold,
you in my arms-
vulnerable for,
the taking-
without expecting,
let the walls of confusion-
come crumbling down,
let love’s light abound-
pass the torture soul,
you hold close-
and lock away,
just this time-
won’t you come out,
and play-
let me see your gentle smile,
your laughter ride-
on your freeing sky.
my heart only wants,
to reach for you-
burst through,
the walls-
that imprison you,
let you know-
I will hold it all,
for you-
in the palm of my soul,
with forgiveness and grace-
let it all go. 

Maureen Kwiat Meshenberg: About 3 years ago, I was awakened from my slumber, though it was a devastating breaking point in my life, I was reunited to a true relationship with my spiritual self and my gift through poetry. It is my intention to reach others by sharing my story through poetry and touching theirs. I am the Page owner of Heart’s Calling. I am also the Visionary Poet for the Facebook Magazine "Women as Visionaries with Lore Raymond" here. I recite spoken word at different venues and also host a monthly Creative Writing Circle using the space for women to bring out their inner release through written word. I am currently working on publishing a book of my poetry. I can be contacted through my Heart’s Calling Facebook page here.


~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~ 

Comments

  1. Love is the most beautiful gift, especially when infused with gentle understanding! I'm borrowing this for an event page, with your permission. Thanks Maureen and Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Savitri, such loving understanding is so comforting! Thank you for sharing. :) xoxo

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...