Skip to main content

A BEAUTIFUL OBSESSION by Kat Myrman

I spend a great deal of time spinning words in the wee hours of the morning…

It is partly due to my aging bladder, those nighttime trolls to the privy...but once I am up and about, it takes me a bit of time to settle back to sleep. I also find that I am at my most creative when the earth is dark and quiet. On one such morning recently as I lay reading to settle my mind, it struck me that my affair with words has been a lifetime obsession.  This poem is a love story. One that I believe we all share. Blessings to you!

A Beautiful Obsession
by Kat Myrman

My love for you began

before I understood that

you would be a life-long

obsession. You wooed me

with promises of blissful

release, and pledged to

sustain me, encouraging

me to use you whenever

I had need. You tickled

my ears with sweet

nothings, encouraging

me to dance, to twirl

through lyrical dips and

curves that left me

breathless and wanting

for more.

You held nothing back,

revealing your fierce

passion and power to

rattle and persuade, cool

and cunning, cutting me

to the heart with

razor-like precision.

It only made me love

you more, drawing me

deep, with a yearning to

trace every syllable of

your complexity, fingers

trembling with each

touch, you became

an empty open book

begging to be filled.
Beautiful, beautiful

Words…it’s plain to

see, you had me att
“hello”.

Kat Myrman: When she’s not working in a cubicle from 9 to 5, Kat can be found taking photographs and photo editing, writing poetry and prose, or sketching and painting. With roots in traditional Christianity, these days Kat finds herself transitioning more into a feminine, earth-based Spirituality with a focus on living in the moment. Her greatest joy is found in encouraging and empowering others. Kat lives in a century-old home in a historic neighborhood in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia with her wife, Traci and their menagerie of critters: two very big dogs, three rescued kitties, a tortoise and a Sun Conure. Her four grown daughters have enriched Kat’s life with five (and counting) amazing grandchildren and several grand-pups. You can connect with Kat at her blog “like mercury colliding”, on Facebook, or on her pet kid’s Facebook Page, Henry’s Friends (where Kat is the translator).

~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...