Skip to main content

THE KEEPERS by BethAnne Kapansky

We all have different ways of being in this world, creating a lovely pool of collective wisdom and spiritual perspectives among us...

I wrote this poem as a reflection on the diverse ways we find meaning and nourishment for our spirits. It celebrates the idea that our wisdom does not come from prescribed ways of thinking, but from our experiences and how those experiences inform our hearts.

Life is rife with possibility and the revelation of the sacred; there is always something new to learn, something numinous to discover. The Keepers is a reflection on life's beautiful mysteries, which have been entrusted to each of us to uncover through our own authentic experiences of self.   

The Keepers
by BethAnne Kapansky

There is no secret 
to happiness.

But there is learning 
to find life where 
you are planted,
and learning how to
breathe in something
bigger, than just yourself.

And there is listening
to the crackle of a fire
on a simple Sunday night 
and getting lost in the 
magic of the moon, then
finding your way home
under it's tender,
burnished gaze.

There is no secret
to love.

But there is learning
to meld with the soul
of another, and knowing
the world becomes lighter
when we laugh together.

And there is exquisite
kindness and putting 
yourself out on that limb
each and every time-
even if it means falling off-
for someday soon I know,
You will learn how 
to catch you. 

There is no secret 
to life. 

But there are great mysteries
who await your finding,
and there are these precious
days whose moments
we can embody. 

And there is learning
to inhabit, your gorgeous
gift of self with all the 
grace and courage and 
utter humanity 
that you can muster. 

There is no secret
other than: 
it's all a secret,
and us the keepers.

And if you stay open,
it will reveal itself to you
in everything that has breath.
In each change and shift
of heartscape.
In every brave act of change.
In anything that you love,
because when you love-
you have surely seen
the face of Life and know 
the benediction of salvation.

In a quiet space of being
under a magic moon,
on a simple Sunday night. 
Katharina Jung Photography

BethAnne Kapansky: I am a Clinical Psychologist enjoying life from my tiny corner of Anchorage, Alaska. I love writing personal essays, composing quirky poetry, and creating whimsical art. I can often be found on top of the nearest mountain or running through the trails of my beloved woods with my little white dog who has the legs of a gazelle and mighty heart of a lion. My work has been published in The Elephant Journal and When Women Waken and used in collaboration with a local dance company to create performance art. I am inspired by nature, rainbows, cake, hearts, the power of women, the thousand faces of love, and the beautiful journey of becoming more fully human. I can be found on Facebook or on my blog: Sunshine in Winter, here. 

~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...