Skip to main content

MAGNIFICENCE by Anisha Hassam


There are inner transformations that occur during the course of everyone's life…

 This poem is about one such transformation in which I felt myself entering a state of gratitude and fortitude. I felt myself accepting things as they are but knowing undeniably well that there is a power, greater than ourselves, looking over us. 

 I wrote this poem to help me remember that there are blessings even in the problems that come along our path. 

We may not see the benefit instantly while going through these turbulent times. But sometimes, much later in our journey, the understanding comes, hence, the term transformation. 

Deep transformations, as I understand them, can't be instant. I’ve found that deep transformations are gradual as they teach the mind and the spirit to be patient as they learn to harmonize with each other. There is such magnificence in this. 
Artwork by Mstilav Pavlov.


Magnificence


When the world seemed cruel,

When people felt ruthless,

When circumstances felt unfair,

When all hope was lost,

There you were;



Amidst chaos,

There you were.  Standing tall and vibrant



When words were spoken endlessly,

There you were.  Your silence, the most consoling



When wounds seemed like they would never heal,

There you were, bestowing your grace and light



When every part of the body was aching,

There you were, nourishing the spirit abundantly



When there seemed no end to suffering,

There you were, holding me in your arms



When the shadow began to creep in

There you were, in the most magnificent form, melting it all

away



Amidst tears, you taught me humor

Amidst agony, you taught me compassion

Amidst failure, you showed me triumph

And amidst al darkness, you showed me my own brilliance.
~
Artwork by Nik Helbig


Anisha Hassam: I hold a Masters degree in Statistics from McMaster University, Ontario Canada. I have always had a curiosity about spirituality from a very young age. After my dad was diagnosed with cancer, my life moved full gear in the direction of connection with the universal power. My poetry is a way in which I actively do this. In my poems I often express my innate longing to unite with the divine.  I feel it is a longing that cannot be expressed in any other way as easily. 




~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~

Comments

  1. Beautifiul! Profound! I could feel every word in the depths of my soul.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...