Skip to main content

A PHOTOGRAPHER'S HEART by Isabelle Andres

This poem was originally inspired by one of my dolls, Raphael…

I am one of those grown-ups with a rather creative inner child and I happen to love dolls and the creative spheres around them. Yet, I was quite surprised to see that my dolls could inspire my poetry!

This poem has always been about photography, but it started being about my doll, Raphael, and what it meant for him to be a photographer. But then, writer’s block hit and that was when the he became a she. I began to realize the poem was also about me, for I am a bit of Raphael and he is a bit of me, even though he is more than me, and I am more than him. And so, as I was writing the poem, the he became a she!

The poem traveled along its journey and yet it somehow still remained soulless. That is when I realized that the poem was about us: what it meant to us—apprentice or professional photographers— to photograph. So the he/she became a photographer’s heart and the poem came to life.

A Photographer’s Heart
by Isabelle Andres

In a photographer’s heart,
shooting becomes loving,
the inanimate comes to life,
capturing becomes freeing,
the shy invisible is in the spotlight.

It captures time;
Life and death in translation.
A flipping moment,
a record of passing seasons,
an ephemeral instant.

It captures space:
That below your nose,
the distantly close,
that which is beyond your scope,
the closely away.

It captures you:
Your emotions,
a transient sensation,
a feeling in explosion,
your gaze,
an invitation in a secret,
into your depth,
into your self.

All is for ever embroidered
in the canvas of its heart.
All is for ever imprinted,
in the films of its photographs.

Your Once upon a time,
becomes your Forever now,
in the digital spaces,
in cybernetic places.

For all these non-lasting moments,
are but your own past, future and present.
For one of your shortest instants,
could well be one of your richest moments,
and that, a photographer’s heart knows well!


Isabelle Andres: A few years ago, I decided to embark on a new journey, a rather personal one, one of self-discovery and so I began to let go of all I once was to become all I am and will be. Along the way, I have discovered myself a passion for photography, writing, reading and dancing amongst many other things. I find my inspiration in Nature and contemporary art and I love to explore the creative and spiritual spheres. From introspective journaling I somehow began to venture in the land of poetry. My first poem came to me whilst I was absorbed as I often am in a moment of Nature contemplation. Recently I have begun to venture in the land of fictional writing and I now secretly dream that one day I will be the proud author of a novel. I can be found on my website Belle Pan’s Maze and on my writer’s page on Facebook.

~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...