Skip to main content

SOLITUDE by Vidya Chetan

I believe that we can hear the sound of our soul only when we are alone and away from the world... 

I penned down this poem on solitude while I was away from all the noise of this world for many days. I feel God hears us when we speak to ourselves during such times, and retrospect on specific times in our lives. Nowadays, however, we get so busy in amassing wealth and worldly possessions that our souls often feel abandoned and we feel stressed. Many are after wealth their whole lives and eventually tire of chasing it. Instead, I feel our purpose in life is not to enjoy worldly pleasures alone but to help others to live a positive life and to do things which help us, and others, connect more with our souls. At least for me, devoting some time to being alone revitalizes and nourishes my soul, as well as my relationship with God. 



Solitude
by Vidya Chetan


Discovering myself in my solitude
In a self contemplative mode,
Not in a content or blue mood,
But gazing into the stillness of wall around.

Memoirs gush in and out,
For the cheerful memories, 
and tears roll down from soul,
Missing those days of blithe.
Where adored ones are now no-more,
To lay our shoulder on.

Sometimes thoughts are blank,
Gazing through infinite space,
With no worries of past and future.
Still we forget to live in present.

Speaking to oneself the whole day,
Since the world is a busy place,
And no one being great listener
In this noisy environment around.

I lose myself in my solitary times,
In thoughts and in verses of poetry,
Where I find solace and comfort in poetry.
Where I hide in my poems at times.

In conversation with God and my inner self,
Which give me the most trustworthy talks I ever experienced,
I talk to you thee, through my rhyme.
Since you only can read between my words.
Which may not be superficial sometimes.

Bareness at times creates an illusion of emptiness,
But listen to the whisper of your soul 
appearing as a sliver of light through your thoughts.
For character gets refined in darkness,
Improving and strengthening with each passing day.

Spending time alone fetches the best version of our selves,
Inspiring our creative inspirations to bloom.
O thee, I bow and bestow these lines to you!



Vidya Chetan: A blogger on social and environmental issues surrounding current events, Vidya is deeply inspired and motivated by Nature’s green beauty, which she finds both calming and energizing to her soul. As such, spirituality and Nature are closely linked for Vidya: a theme she often writes about with much passion. As a full time working professional in a corporate atmosphere, Vidya finds that the meditative practice of writing poems helps calm her mind, relieve tension and keep her sane. Her debut poetry book, Song of Soul was published in 2012. An ardent fan of Wordsworth and Gibran, Vidya finds solace in their works, which relieve her of her tensions and worries.



~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~ 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...