Skip to main content

DIVINE LOVE by Vidya Chetan


I was thinking about this month of February as a special month for many who celebrate love, and of the freshness and brilliance this time of year brings to one's life. ❤️

But when I think of love, my thoughts always go towards the Divine: my Lord Krishna. I believe there is nothing more precious in this world than the divine love he bestows upon me. My mind and heart are filled with love for Him  more than anyone. I penned down this poem just to express my feelings towards him, for I believe that God’s love is incomparable, unrivaled, unique, exceptional and precious than anything in this world.


Divine Love 
Vidya Chetan

O, my Lord Krishna! 

I bow down to your lotus feet,
which give me an immense sensation of tranquility,
calming my soul deep within.
Whatever outer turmoil or chaos I face
evaporates before your smiling face 
instantly releasing me from agony. 
You lift me when I am depressed
and grant me courage to face the world.

I overlook difficult surroundings

in your presence.
You heal my heart at once
when it is shattered and crushed.
You teach me valuable lessons
when Maya, or illusion, engulfs me. 
Or when life overwhelms.  

At times you even send me warnings through divine means

that my ignorant mind sometimes fails to comprehend!
Whenever I pass by a church, mosque or temple
I see you there and bow to you within my heart.
Words will never suffice in describing the ecstasy I feel 
whenever I am absorbed in your world:
unfolding all around me every day!

In the lush greenery of nature, in the trees, in all living beings

I see you, my Lord! 

I wish that not a single day pass

in which I will neglect your the chanting your divine name and mantra, 
for they energize my heart and soul. 
Oh, Lord! Chanting your Holy Names
gives me the power to face this world.
How can worldly pleasures can substitute this?
Abandoning my desires for material gain
I wish only to possess your love and compassion. 

Sweet Krishna, you are the quintessence of love! 

Visible only before the eyes of believers.
Your presence is felt when we chant your auspicious name.
What would I be without it? 
Without your love and compassion upon me
I am incomplete. 
For I feel you in my very life breath:
your divine love the altar unto which I bow. 



Vidya Chetan: A blogger on social and environmental issues surrounding current events, Vidya is deeply inspired and motivated by Nature’s green beauty, which she finds both calming and energizing to her soul. As such, spirituality and Nature are closely linked for Vidya: a theme she often writes about with much passion. As a full time working professional in a corporate atmosphere, Vidya finds that the meditative practice of writing poems helps calm her mind, relieve tension and keep her sane. Her debut poetry book, Song of Soul was published in 2012. An ardent fan of Wordsworth and Gibran, Vidya finds solace in their works, which relieve her of her tensions and worries.



*For submission guidelines, click here.*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...