Skip to main content

SUJOOD by Hafsa Mumtaz

T

his poem encapsulates the essence of a trance-like feeling that one fuses into as one is bowing before Allah (S.W.T.) on a prayer mat. It curls from under and around the membranes of one’s heart as one connects with a Higher Existence that beckons your soul as you take a single step towards It. The word, ‘Sujood’ is a plural for the term, ‘Sajda’, which means to bow. The true art of expression begins when you feel that a Greater Power is with you (when not a soul is there for you), listening to you, as you bow to Him on the Canvas of Profundity – the prayer mat. 

 

Sujood


hush – darkness charges and comes to a standstill

somersaulting into an ocean of Light,

lashes wet like the bristles of a paintbrush,

stroke the Canvas of Profundity

here, I speak with my heart

for my tongue feels too insignificant

the darkest hour when all eyes

smudge into a panorama of subconsciousness

Allah still listens to me.

In Sujood, you find yourself

for the world crumbles under your feet

as you gnaw at the last cord holding you intact

for the world fuses into a shroud of your dreams

as you embellish your dressing table to appear pretty for an outing

for your life is an hourglass sucking every speck out of you

and you pass away into a heap of sand – 

ostracized by your closest one.

for only in Sujood, as your eyes are closed,

as your heart opens, as your hopes fall apart,

as your soul splits asunder,

will the Light enter you.

so, I speak without words

to the One who'll always listen,

who'll always answer my prayers

with stardust, with filigree, with aurora – 

in ways unimaginable.



Hafsa Mumtaz (she/her/hers), aged 22, is a Pakistani poet, a graduate of English Language and Literature, and a Muslim. Her poetry has been published in Visual Verse AnthologyRising Phoenix ReviewWomen’s Spiritual Poetry, and in The New Verse News. She loves to write retrospective pieces on women empowerment, and the transcendental.


*For submission guidelines, click here.*

Comments

  1. Ive never seen any great poetry than this ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Average poetry. The images in this poem imitate Hiba's poetry, 'Crescendo' and 'Masterpiece.' Please try to be original, stop copying others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just because Hafsa happened to use the word 'paintbrush' and 'filigree' that Hiba has used in her previous poems does not mean it's a copy. Just because Hiba knows these words does not mean no one else can know these words.
    To respond to the accusation of copying, I think readers should read the ekprastic poem, 'Breath You in' by Alaya Mays on the current issue of Visual Verse on pg. 03, and Hiba's poem, 'Crescendo' on pg. 14. They'll get to know who is copying.
    I have nothing against Hiba's poetry. Tbh, I don't consider it plagiarism, but if I have to fall down to a petty level of thinking (considering identical words to be copying), then yes, it can be plagiarism. What's more is that 'Crescendo' and 'Breathe You in' are written on a same image.

    My two cents for the wise; Had it been plagiarism, the editor wouldn't publish it. Had Hiba's 'Crescendo' been a copied attempt, the editor of Visual Verse wouldn't publish it.
    So let's be mindful and mature enough to be above all this nonsensical accusation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is highly probable that similar expressions and images can be used by different people for the same image prompt.

      Same words can be used by different poets but not in the same style and metaphors. Also, Hiba's poetry has been published widely, so her journey is longer and more refined. It is suggested that one should pursue their own unique choice of magazines rather than following other poet's pathway. Each poet chooses a home for their poetry according to their style and taste.

      Delete
  4. @the anon person defending me, I appreciate your honest concern but I truly do not mind if there are some traces of my poems in Hafsa's works. Hafsa read those works and some of the images may have unconsciously translated in her poetry. I think it happens with all the readers and writers. It just shows that my poems had a deep impact on the reader. Hafsa's poem is well-written too. Let's just clear the air and appreciate art.

    -Hiba

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beautiful poem, Hafsa. Indeed in sujood we find ourselves :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is this sujood? It is WRONG

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is this sujood in the picture above? It is WRONG!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Gather

IMBOLC by Caroline Mellor

The inspiration for this poem came after I watched a magical winter sunset and full moonrise from the top of Firle Beacon in the South Downs... Unusually for me, I wrote the poem quite quickly and changed it very little before publishing it – perhaps the energies were working through my pen! Imbolc is the mid-point between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. It’s a fire festival which I particularly love because of its associations with Brigid, the Celtic Mother Goddess of arts and crafts, clear sight, healing, inspiration and nurturance of creative talents – something which, through my writing, I am always trying to connect with.  I also love Imbolc because, with so much darkness and negativity in the world today, it is a time for hope, potential, visioning and initiation. With love and blessings as the light returns. Photography by Chanel Baran IMBOLC    by Caroline Mellor I am the dream of awakening. I am the returning of the night.  I am the tough green

WINTER SOLSTICE: A GIFT OF LOVE by Carolyn Riker

I’ve had several days now of alone time… It is unusual and a gift that I couldn’t see until I breathed it. I have been able to watch the sun’s rise through the grey of dawn and smile at the flickers of frost melting on the waving boughs of evergreen. It’s unique to follow daylight as it traverses the tempo of a cat’s soft slumbering purr. Night comes swifter and the glow of candles and the flames of fire comfort me more than the steady stream of always-doing-more. As much as I resisted, I needed this break. I had no idea how much my body was trying to tell me   slow down   until the exhaustion settled in around my joints. My eyes swam in molasses. Heaviness of I-can’t-hold-out-much-long, walked me to the throne of my nest. It’s winter’s gift of self-nurturing and love. It’s been a quiet proclamation of femininity and a need for comfort foods. Lemon crisps and cranberry, white-chocolate shortbread dipped in tea; I felt a hint of being pampered without