Skip to main content

THAT by Michelle McDonald


THAT

 

That, which Gives each breath we take,

Which we can neither save or fake.

That, which Shines as gentle as a dove,

Through the eyes of those we love.

That, which Gifts us each new day,

Delighting in our diverse, creative play.

That, Omnipresent listening ear, 

Which comforts us and calms our fears.

That, which Lovingly clothes, 

Every lily and fragrant rose.

That, which Gives with loving hand,

Without judgement, revenge or command.

That, Eternal Grace, 

Awaiting our surrender and embrace.

That, which Encompasses All,

The good, the bad, the great, the small.

That, which with Unseen Hand, 

Guides us through stormy waters to dry land.

That, which Knows there's no mistakes, 

Trusting life which gives and takes. 

That, which Gives free will to all, 

Watching great waves rise and fall.

That, Essential Life itself, 

Which in silent stillness can be felt. 

That, without beginning or end, 

Our own True Essence and Forever Friend. 


Photography by Sofia Sundari 



Michelle McDonald: I live in Wicklow, Ireland with my husband and two teenage boys. I have worked as a bookkeeper for thirty years. I embarked on a spiritual journey around 20 years ago. I don’t have any writing experience but started writing during the first Covid lockdown in May 2020 when I spent my newfound free time relaxing in my garden. The common theme in my poems is Spiritual / Self Empowering and my poems speak mostly about finding stability within as a first step to living peacefully in a turbulent, unstable world. I get the inspiration for my poems from quiet reflection on the writings and talks of the great spiritual teachers including, Eckhart Tolle, Ramana Maharshi, Krishna Das and many, many more which I have been blessed to find along the way. You may find her on Facebook here, or Instagram.


*For submission guidelines, click here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...