Skip to main content

WITHIN MY HEART by Ann Metlay

 

Within my Heart
by Ann Metlay


I live within the folds

of my heart. Its curves

of valves and flaps,

its steady beat, my lifeblood.

 

Follow these bloodlines.

they lead deep into the hearts

of others, paths to connect

us all to the love of the One.

 

Sometimes, my trail seems 

studded with rocks. I stumble.

Perhaps the trickle of tears,

the sobs that contract my breath 

are meant to scrub across these pebbles,

display their luster, the jewels

I share within love.

 

Even when the Beyond beckons,

and loved ones’ paths

must depart, I know these diamonds,

these sapphires, remain, treasures

for future mining. See this necklace

 

draped along the spirals of my path.

These have become my jewels

collected from personal  battlefield,

my travails and my personal conquests.

To whom will I bequeath my wealth?          











Ann Metlay, a lifelong writer, grew up in the 50’s’ in Berkeley. Her family shared a love of folks songs and close experiences and observations of nature.  These opportunities continue to influence her poetry and her visual art today. After participating in the Berkeley scene in the mid-sixties, Ann joined the Peace Corps, and spent two years in Nigeria. Upon returning home, Ann embarked on a career in teaching. She incorporated her language skills into teaching, first children with special needs, then, later, with students struggling to become proficient readers. Ann retired to Arizona. She has linked her observational skills in nature to her deeply spiritual poetry, and art.  She, incorporates her keen sense of rhythm and rhyme within all her art. Ann delights in sharing her creative gifts through readings and art shows. She has published several books of poetry and short stories. A Jew by choice, spiritual poetry flows through her. She shares her poetry regularly at services of Center of Universal Light, a community that “embraces all paths to the Divine Light.” She also shares her writings at the Jewish Community of the Verde Valley.

 

*For submission guidelines, click here.*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...