Skip to main content

EMPOWERMENT by Carolyn Riker


It’s a matter of inspiration when I write...

My words can either be stuck in my throat or head or they spill out freely.
Immensely discouraging some days and freely floating on others.

Music and nature connect me to something that I can’t quite put a finger on. It’s a vibration and a pulse. 

We are energy. 

This particular music video echoed my heart beat. The chains are breaking. The message is clear: 

Abuse, in all forms is dark and evil. 

This music video plays at a higher note. It is about empowerment. It is not about re-victimizing or re-traumatizing. Instead it’s a new dance of freedom.  It’s a vital connection to join together as strong force.

Change happens and the changes are real, confrontational, inspiring and ultimately a gift to open new doors.

~For more information about this event of women dancing around the world to end violence click here~
~Empowerment~

You are loved.
You probably haven’t heard that in a long time.
Look inward and believe it.
Dance to the rhythm of your heart.
Feel your breath rise and fall.
It wraps a melody around your soul.
You are more than okay.
You don’t have to figure out everything right now.
Should I stay with him? Will it ever get better? What will everyone think? Why am I so stupid? If only I had done things differently. 
Let self-doubt go with the what-ifs.
Let your inner confidence light a new way.
You are strong.
You are amazing, creative, intelligent and beautiful.
Dance in this new moment.
Let the pulse of your new song radiant through your soul.
This time it’s different you are love.
You will heal.
It begins with the self.
The universe will hold your hand.
You are never alone.
You are brave.
You have choices.
Sing loudly!
I can do this.
I will make a change.
I will take back who I am.
I am love.
You are loved.
You are more than okay.
You are strong.
You are brave.
Let the healing begin.
Dance to a new song.
Find your inner love.
Reach for the sky. 
You deserve more.

 “Listen. Rise. Dance. Break the Chain. We are all beautiful creatures.”


Carolyn Riker is an elementary teacher, mental health counselor, writer and a poet who finds comfort and balance in her kids, nature, music and her sweet cat Copper.  She can be seen sipping soy lattes, nibbling on dark chocolate or savoring a full-bodied red wine. Introspective, forthright, kind and compassionate, she intertwines life with yoga, meditating and learning about Vedic Astrology and Ayurveda.  She also writes for Elephant Journal and Rebelle Society. Carolyn can be reached via her e-mail address carolynra7@hotmail.com or on facebook here.  




~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~ 

Comments

  1. This is great, nice chaste dance with a message Love the pranams when they say "My body is Holy."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gopa, I love that part too! "My body is Holy." Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I "accidentally" stumbled on this today, Carolyn. And WOW! It's a perfect, beautiful reminder. I am fierce. I am loved. I am powerful!! ROAR!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...