Skip to main content

THE KEEPERS by BethAnne Kapansky

We all have different ways of being in this world, creating a lovely pool of collective wisdom and spiritual perspectives among us...

I wrote this poem as a reflection on the diverse ways we find meaning and nourishment for our spirits. It celebrates the idea that our wisdom does not come from prescribed ways of thinking, but from our experiences and how those experiences inform our hearts.

Life is rife with possibility and the revelation of the sacred; there is always something new to learn, something numinous to discover. The Keepers is a reflection on life's beautiful mysteries, which have been entrusted to each of us to uncover through our own authentic experiences of self.   

The Keepers
by BethAnne Kapansky

There is no secret 
to happiness.

But there is learning 
to find life where 
you are planted,
and learning how to
breathe in something
bigger, than just yourself.

And there is listening
to the crackle of a fire
on a simple Sunday night 
and getting lost in the 
magic of the moon, then
finding your way home
under it's tender,
burnished gaze.

There is no secret
to love.

But there is learning
to meld with the soul
of another, and knowing
the world becomes lighter
when we laugh together.

And there is exquisite
kindness and putting 
yourself out on that limb
each and every time-
even if it means falling off-
for someday soon I know,
You will learn how 
to catch you

There is no secret 
to life. 

But there are great mysteries
who await your finding,
and there are these precious
days whose moments
we can embody. 

And there is learning
to inhabit, your gorgeous
gift of self with all the 
grace and courage and 
utter humanity 
that you can muster. 

There is no secret
other than: 
it's all a secret,
and us the keepers.

And if you stay open,
it will reveal itself to you
in everything that has breath.
In each change and shift
of heartscape.
In every brave act of change.
In anything that you love,
because when you love-
you have surely seen
the face of Life and know 
the benediction of salvation.

In a quiet space of being
under a magic moon,
on a simple Sunday night. 
Katharina Jung Photography

BethAnne Kapansky: I am a Clinical Psychologist enjoying life from my tiny corner of Anchorage, Alaska. I love writing personal essays, composing quirky poetry, and creating whimsical art. I can often be found on top of the nearest mountain or running through the trails of my beloved woods with my little white dog who has the legs of a gazelle and mighty heart of a lion. My work has been published in The Elephant Journal and When Women Waken and used in collaboration with a local dance company to create performance art. I am inspired by nature, rainbows, cake, hearts, the power of women, the thousand faces of love, and the beautiful journey of becoming more fully human. I can be found on Facebook or on my blog: Sunshine in Winter, here. 

~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Gather

IMBOLC by Caroline Mellor

The inspiration for this poem came after I watched a magical winter sunset and full moonrise from the top of Firle Beacon in the South Downs... Unusually for me, I wrote the poem quite quickly and changed it very little before publishing it – perhaps the energies were working through my pen! Imbolc is the mid-point between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. It’s a fire festival which I particularly love because of its associations with Brigid, the Celtic Mother Goddess of arts and crafts, clear sight, healing, inspiration and nurturance of creative talents – something which, through my writing, I am always trying to connect with.  I also love Imbolc because, with so much darkness and negativity in the world today, it is a time for hope, potential, visioning and initiation. With love and blessings as the light returns. Photography by Chanel Baran IMBOLC    by Caroline Mellor I am the dream of awakening. I am the returning of the night.  I am the tough green

WINTER SOLSTICE: A GIFT OF LOVE by Carolyn Riker

I’ve had several days now of alone time… It is unusual and a gift that I couldn’t see until I breathed it. I have been able to watch the sun’s rise through the grey of dawn and smile at the flickers of frost melting on the waving boughs of evergreen. It’s unique to follow daylight as it traverses the tempo of a cat’s soft slumbering purr. Night comes swifter and the glow of candles and the flames of fire comfort me more than the steady stream of always-doing-more. As much as I resisted, I needed this break. I had no idea how much my body was trying to tell me   slow down   until the exhaustion settled in around my joints. My eyes swam in molasses. Heaviness of I-can’t-hold-out-much-long, walked me to the throne of my nest. It’s winter’s gift of self-nurturing and love. It’s been a quiet proclamation of femininity and a need for comfort foods. Lemon crisps and cranberry, white-chocolate shortbread dipped in tea; I felt a hint of being pampered without