Skip to main content

SIT WITH ME by Carolyn Riker

I was invited to share a little about my newest book of poetry and prose, This is Love, written over several years. 

Last August I managed to slip off for three full nights and organize my surplus of poetry and prose. On the second night I realized there was an ample set of words leaning up against a pale amethyst pillow all dedicated to love. And in that sea of heartfelt renderings, I started to see a pattern of how This is Love  holds self-love, love of nature and the love lost and found in relationships. 

The middle section has sustained me over the years. The outer two sections have been stitched together by developing trust in self and understanding the variables of love are not always glorious but in fact difficult. When we love fully we can be hurt, betrayed, lied to, manipulated and in the end that very love space can become hardened or it continues to accept vulnerability as the magma of our heart’s flow. We recreate and grow. Flourishing has a trajectory of squalls, lulls, and joys. Even as I type these words I’m overcome by my tenderness and it reminds me of these words in my book, “Love often slips from my eye’s soul,” because I feel into the infinity of love’s borderless acceptance. And finally, I now share with you a poem from my new book: 


Sit with Me

Just sit with me
on the edge of always
and I’ll tell you a story
of how shooting stars
are really angels
and how much
a tangle of wet grass
are lovers holding raindrops.

Just sit with me and 
I’ll let you trace your fingers
over an imaginative odyssey,
tasting each page as it turns.

Just sit with me all seed-like,
nested in safe shelter
within midnight’s
gorgeous brown earth
before thoughts reach
a glad of sun’s light.

Just sit with me
in a patch way over there
by sea, or boulder,
or on an edge of a pier
with feet swaying
to the waves of
dreams and tears.
I’ll be there.
Sitting and wondering and being
the sky’s deep blue with you.



Carolyn (Riker) Avalani, M.A., LMHC is a licensed counselor, teacher, writer and poet. Over the last five years she has written for numerous online journals and has been in five anthologies. Her most recent book This is Love was published June 2018. Before that she contributed and co-edited, Hidden Lights: A Collection of Truths Not Often Told, which holds 53 artists sharing their stories, poems, art and photography. Her first book of poetry and prose, Blue Clouds was published December 2016. Between sips of coffee, navigating life with copious writing and daydreaming, Carolyn offers creative writing workshops, coaching and private counseling. To find out more please visit her website at www.carolynriker.com or on facebook here. 

*For submission guidelines, click here.*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...