Skip to main content

THE SIREN'S CALL by Anita Neilson


I was born into a God-loving Catholic family. We were brought up to believe in God, to be kind; we were taken to church every Sunday and other holy feast days. We followed the traditions of our religion like not eating meat on a Friday and saying our prayers at night before bed. 

In my twenties, when other responsibilities and leisure activities took up my time, I decided I didn’t need God. I was happy as I was! Then―like everyone else—challenges beset me and I became angry with Him. I can look back now and shake my head and smirk a little at the childish ignorance and arrogance of the person I was in my youth. What was it Jesus said about those people who orchestrated his death, “Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do.”  For we are like children spiritually when we’ve turned away from Him. We end up not knowing how to live our lives and getting it all wrong in the process!

I certainly wasn’t expecting to come back to God. I believed I was living a ‘good’ life until ill-health struck in my mid-40s. I began meditation classes simply to help me relax. I didn’t for a minute think it would reignite the Divine spark within me (which I now know never goes out). Yet before I knew it, I was also writing poetry, firstly about the joys of the natural world, and then it became deeper, more turned towards God. It became the outward reflection of a growing inner longing in my heart for God. This took me completely by surprise. Was it Him that I’d been looking for all these years after seeking happiness in material wealth and status and finding it wanting? My longing was transmitting more and more strongly, like a relentless beacon in the fog strengthening my link with the Divine.

It feels different this time though: not a return to organized religion or ‘churchianity’ and following its traditions by rote, but a new, individual relationship where I take inspiration from the best parts of Christianity, Buddhism and Hinduism. My prayers have been answered in an increasing peace, contentment and joy. I realize that God was always listening, but I had tuned Him out! The call home is the sweetest song ever, wordless yet saying so much! My heart is bursting with joy and anticipation. I’m like a little child, desperate for the Father’s love. My old life just doesn’t hold any interest for me now. I am happy as I am.  Here is the poem, The Siren’s Call:

THE SIREN'S CALL

I hear the call home
That quiet, persistent beacon
Through the fog
At times loud and strong
At others quiet and soft.

Like a Siren, it sings
In tune with my heartbeat
Enticing me home.
But I can’t come yet. 
For I’ve found Your bliss on Earth!

May I continue Your work?
For there are others to help.
May I seek out new places? 
For there are wounds to heal.
And when Your work is done
I will race to You with open arms
And cry, “I’m home. I’m home!”




Anita Neilson is an author, spiritual poet and blogger. A former high-school teacher, she writes for many mind, body, spirit and chronic illness publications from her base in her native Scotland. Connect with Anita via her blog Healing Words, Instagram or Facebook Page, Her book, Acts of Kindness from your Armchair is available from your preferred online retailer.


*For submission guidelines, click here.*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...