Skip to main content

CHRISTMAS CALLED ME IN by Cheryl Anne Maris

Christmas Called Me In
by Cheryl Anne Maris

Christmas called me in
To the heart’s quieter place
Away from all work and worry
And the intrusion of outer images

Christmas called me in
To that space where I am free
From the illusion of entitlement
And the laughable notion of intellectual property

Christmas called me in
To the Realm of the Infant
Into helplessness and crying
And the universal truth of vulnerability

Christmas called me in
To the Hope already born
To the ending written
Long before the prologue wet the page

Christmas called me in
To Love Uncontainable
And the sustainable peace
Of Its full foregone
And future surrender

Christmas called me in
To the tender seeing of the Midnight Clear
And the gentle hearing of the Silent Night
Senses bestowed upon the lovelorn and senseless

Christmas called me in
To the cradle of the defenseless
The Light of the World shining
On, In, and Through
Eternity, You, and Me.
~


Cheryl Anne Maris: As a very young girl, I discovered the magic of turning my observations and swirling thoughts and feelings into poems and songs. The love of language; spoken, sung, and written, and also the silent language of presence, has remained through all life's twists and turns. I am a lover and celebrant of the elements and seasons of the Heart and Soul, of Earth and Spirit; finding All Life to be sacred. I deeply enjoy the privilege of sharing my life with three beloved children and a few more than three beloved friends. Presently I work in the field of in-home elder care and companioning. My greatest joy is found in being with those I so dearly love, and in the embrace and beauty of Nature. 

*For submission guidelines, click here.*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...