Skip to main content

THE MOTHER OF WISDOM by Adele Tomlin


The Mother of Wisdom

''No thing anywhere
is ever born from itself,
from something else,
from both or without a cause."


Nagarjuna - 'Root Verses on the Wisdom of the Middle Way'


For there to be a Birth-day
there must be a 'mother' and 'child' but who causes who to arise?


For something to be 'born'
there must be a 'cause'
but when does the 'seed' become the 'tree' ?


For the 'seed' to 'grow'
there must be 'conditions'
but when do the sun, earth and air become 'growing'?


For something to 'die'
there must be 'change'
but when does the 'change' become the 'death'?


For there to be 'objects'
there must be 'words'
but when did the 'words' become the 'objects''?


All I know is,
when I watch you sleep,
even the words 'love' and 'compassion' fall away; like countless tears from a billion mothers,
into a deep ocean of timeless peace.

Child, you are my guru
my suffering
my joy.
You gave birth to me, a mother 

and for that I am eternally grateful.

                     *   *   *
**This poem originally appeared in Tales from the Yoni Stone
and is now available for FREE DOWNLOAD here, from Dakini Publications**

Photo by Tatiana Syrikova (Photograph does not depict the author or her child)


Adele Tomlin is a writer, translator and has been a practitioner within the Tibetan Buddhist tradition since 2006. She has studied Tibetan language, Buddhist philosophy and has practiced in Buddhist monasteries and nunneries in India, Nepal and Europe. In 2020 she published a poetry collection, Tales from the Yoni Stone with Dakini Publications. She also produced a translation and critical edition of Taranatha's Commentary on the Heart Sutra (2017). Her poems are spiritual songs covering themes of gender, sexuality, love, spiritual discovery and awakening. 

*For submission guidelines, click here.*

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...