Skip to main content

Sally by Ayala Zarfjian

 


Today, we feature an excerpt from Ayala Zarfjian’s poignant and deeply moving new poetry collection, A Corner in the World: Holocaust Poems for My Father. Ayala’s words powerfully resound as a beautiful tribute to her ancestors that died as a result of the holocaust, to those that survived, and to all the silenced voices of the persecuted around the world today. Woven into her vivid, yet gentle treatment of the terrors of the holocaust and ancestral trauma, is also a powerful warning that we not let such a horrific past repeat itself, that our species not lose its heart and soul. The following, is a poem she wrote in memory of her aunt, Sally Eckhaus:

 

 

Sally

 

I no longer remember the sound of her laughter.

I no longer remember the scent of her perfume.

Did she bake challah for the Sabbath?

Did her hands form a perfect braid?

The wind whispered her name. 

Her hair flowed when she walked. 

Darkness, illuminated by her smile.

She embraced her husband for the last time.

The memories of their newlywed days sustained her.

Their faces beamed when they found each other in a crowd.

Their hearts beat as one.

Their unconscious flowing tenderness was seamless.

A dance of life, filled with beauty and kindness.

Sally mourned my beloved uncle’s death.

Devastated and alone she returned 

to reclaim their home.

The villagers that pillaged their possessions 

took her life. 

Her body was dismembered. 

I might imagine all the places where 

the parts were thrown. 

Patches of beautiful lilies grew there. 


(This poem originally appeared in A Corner in the World: 

Holocaust Poems for My Father. To acquire a copy of your own, click here)



Ayala Zarfjian is an Israeli-born American poet. The author of A Corner in the World: Holocaust Poems for My Father (Golden Dragonfly Press, 2021) and Second Chances: Poetry of a Sun-Kissed Life, winner of The Next Generation Indie Book Award. Her poems have been anthologized in Chiaroscuro, Darkness and Light: Voices from poets - dVerse Anthology (2017) and Poetry as a Spiritual Practice: Illuminating the Awakened Woman (2016).  Ayala is a mother, and a grandmother. When Ayala is not writing or designing jewelry, she loves to spend time with her children and grandchildren. Her other passions are traveling, deep-sea fishing, meditating, reading, and art. She resides with her family in Plantation, Florida, and blogs at A Sun Kissed Life.


*For submission guidelines, click here.*


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...