Skip to main content

SHELTER by Renee Podunovich


Shelter

 

I don’t know if I know

how to listen to silences so old,

quietude contained within rock

crafted into brick, held in a mortar

of mud and pebbles, bound

in ancient spring water and clay.

 

            Minds speculate:

            what must have been, what still is,

the living traditions we struggle to maintain,

how we find and lose meaning,

place and displace our humanness,

forget our belonging on the earth, strive

then and now to survive. 

 

Thunder in the cradle of the canyon.

A few drops of rain land on my cheeks

and on high desert dust.

            I let cool wind brush my hair, caress my brow, 

            let my head rest in the laps of ancient women

who made comfort out of a landscape,

out of their call to nurture life.

I don’t want to know

anything but this stillness,

this moment away from the entire world,

            this gap in time.

 

I could settle here, let exhausted bones

and my burning, broken-down heart

relax into stasis 

next to grinding stones

unused now for hundreds of years—

they offer just the hint of the effort it takes

to be well and thrive in this life,

            to bear witness to change,

            to know ends will come,

            stopping points. 

 

Invisibility invites each one of us

            into its grace, as graceful 

as alcoves of stone in rainstorms,

inside the shelter of awe.


(This poem first appeared in the author's third chapbook, “Illustrious for Brief Moments”, published in February of 2021. Click here for your own copy!) 



Renee Podunovich
 is a poet and freelance writer living in southwest Colorado. She has three chapbooks of poems:“Illustrious for Brief Moments” (Finishing Line Press, 2021), “Let the Scaffolding Collapse” (Finalist of the New Women’s Voices Chapbook Competition by Finishing Line Press, 2012) and “If There Is a Center No One Knows Where It Begins” (Art Juice Press, 2008).  She is the 2019 Cantor Award winner for the best poem by a Coloradoan in the Fischer Prize awarded by the Telluride Literary Festival. Her poems were nominated for a Pushcart Prize in 2010 and 2011. Renee believes that poetry is a language that encourages us to transcend our constricted sense of self and connect to our essential nature within and the living intelligence of the world around us. Renee facilitates Well Writing: Wordcraft for Discovery, Wholeness & Connection workshops that are designed to use creative writing as a tool for centering, reflecting and for personal growth. Visit Renee's website here, and her blog here. 

*For submission guidelines, click here.*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...