Skip to main content

LOST SONGS and SOLOIST by Jennifer Wenn

L

ost Songs

By Jennifer Wenn


 Maybe the desire to make something beautiful

is the piece of God that is inside each of us

Mary Oliver, “Franz Marc’s Blue Horses”

 

Once I wrote songs,

was young and didn’t know any better,

aspired to an unreachable fantasy,

to a person I couldn’t then be.

Immature fragile tunes

and gossamer words

soon lost in a cacophony

of mocking laughter from

without and within,

drowned out by blasts of

seriousness reasonableness conformity,

naïve notes distorted into an

unending metronomic drumbeat of 

analytics and logic and practicality,

the songs shattered, scattered on the winds

of uncounted delicate melodies

never given voice, throats and souls

strangled by fear and acquiescence.

 

Is that the end?  Divine spark forever

sublimated or smothered?  Sometimes.

But maybe, a lifetime later, 

the quixotic urge returns unbidden,

the primordial quest for beauty reborn,

habit and convention cast aside

and the fragments of long-ago dreams

reforged with hard-won tools,

perhaps, one autumn day, to sound a

hopeful transfigured echo of long-lost songs.



Soloist


The leader counts in, tones burst forth

like spring flowers in fast forward,

swirling, linking, dissolving, reforming,

sculpting a cathedral ephemeral,

bass crypt, tenor and alto vaulting,

soaring soprano filigree.

Moment impending, the soloist rises,

flooded by anticipatory tension,

hoping, yet confident,

fusing with the music.

Space created as cathedral

modulates to safety net,

alone, but not, the solo begins,

slowly at first, then building, soaring,

borne up by a nurturing tide

surging through the room,

pulling threads of the ineffable

from spirit’s core and weaving

a glorious sonic tapestry

above and beyond, transporting

all to rapturous realms unseen.

 

Vision complete, the soloist eases down,

melding, reharmonizing.  Consummation

achieved, physical sounds cease,

the enchantment echoing still.




Jennifer Wenn is a trans-identified writer and speaker from London, Ontario. Her first poetry chapbook, A Song of Milestones, has been published by Harmonia Press (an imprint of Beliveau Books). She has also written From Adversity to Accomplishment, a family and social history; and published poetry in Beliveau Review, The Ekphrastic Review, Watchyourhead, Open Minds Quarterly, Tuck Magazine, Synaeresis, Big Pond Rumours, the League of Canadian Poets Fresh Voices, Wordsfestzine, and the anthologies Dénouement and Things That Matter.  She is also the proud parent of two adult children. Visit her website here. 


*For submission guidelines, click here

Comments

  1. These are beautiful - as a musician who struggles to come up with imagery for things (a task that as a student I am often asked to do); I really appreciate the "Soloist" piece in particular.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...