Skip to main content

THE FOG OF MOURNING by Sarah Carlson

EDITOR'S NOTE: The following poem, by Sarah Carlson, was composed shortly after the deadliest shooting in Lewiston, Maine, U.S.A. on October 25, 2023, in which 18 people were fatally shot, and 13 others were left injured. As of 2023, it was the 10th deadliest mass shooting in U.S history. 


The Fog of Mourning

with love to my home state of Maine

 by Sarah Carlson

 

We know what we know.

People were slain.

People were injured.

People experienced terror.

We are hurting.

We wait and wonder.

 

I had a sudden rush

 of tangled emotions this morning

after I read about the tender beings

who were killed in Lewiston.

I feel such empathy for them,

for their families,

for those who shared in their lives.

And then it went deeper as the words

“there one minute, gone the next” 

meandered through my mind.

Though it has been years,

and my husband died peacefully,

I can relate to a normal day 

that ends with sudden, 

catastrophic loss.

At first I felt guilty.

What right do I have to cry

 about my own loss

in the midst of this horrible crisis?

I knew to step outside,

take a breath,

be with the trees 

and the morning mist.

Slowly it dawned

that we are together

in the fog of mourning 

right now,

each in our own way.

How it dissipates

will ebb and flow and vary.

May we all

find spaces and places

to honor our feelings,

experience support,

share love and compassion

so the density of this fog 

can lighten

as time goes by.



Photography by the author, Sarah Carlson


Sarah Carlson
, M.ED, combines her unique poetic voice with photography of scenes from her outdoor adventures in her home state of Maine and other wild places. She has published three books that interweave her love of nature, journey toward wellness, and over 30 years of experience in the field of education. The newest one, Tender Light Softens was written throughout the pandemic and published by Golden DragonflyPress in October of 2022. Her work is full of grace, hope, and healing. Information about Tender Light Softens and her previous books - The Radiance of Change (2018) and In the Currents of Quiet (2020) - along with  ongoing work can be found here. 



*For submission guidelines, click here.*

Comments

  1. My story and thanksgiving goes to Grandpa Omorodion When my lover left me i never thought that i would be able to get her back after all she had put me through, But i am so happy that after the interference of Grandpa Omorodion I was able to get my lover back after a couple of days and i am proud to say that who ever needs help in getting his or her lover back should contact Grandpa Omorodion on his WhatsApp or Emial , this is why i also want to let everyone who is in need of help out there to also seek help from him so he can help you also to testify about his work this is how I kept my word
    whatsapp.... +2349072046883 Email. ..... dromorodion@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...