Skip to main content

MESSAGE OF THE BIRDS by Carolyn Riker


My garden is small and has very little definition....

I let plants reseed. There’s little strategy involved and that is good. I enter a different sense of time when in nature. On this day, I was trimming a massive heirloom climbing rose. There were sparrows and a pair of gold finches entertaining me. As I settle into the garden’s rhythm, it becomes meditative. The birds were speaking and I listened...
The author's garden
Message of the Birds
by Carolyn Riker

Stepping lightly through the sodden moss
The wind whispered.
It was a space between the shadows and light.
She blinked to see if she really saw, and there it was:
A reflection of her soul in the veins of a leaf,
An ancient image of color and form,
Breathing, like a fern, through her pores.
She floated to the tree tops with the birds.
Liltingly, she danced in the wind.
Wordlessness transferred to her eye, mind and soul,
The Sparrow said,
“Listen.”
The Finch tilted her head and said,
“What is here isn’t.  This is a spiritual quest.
It’s a matter of seeing between the dot and the blur, the love and the fear
It’s a space….between a leaf, a flutter and a breeze.”
And she knew…as soft and real as the moss where she stood,
Truth had been translated in their song.
Life was in motion,
Awakened and renewed.





Carolyn Riker
 
M.A., LMHC is a counselor, teacher, writer and poet. She’s been a regular columnist for Rebelle Societyand prior to that several years at Elephant Journal. A collection of her work is available on her blog, Magic of Stardust and Words. Her poetry and prose has been featured in three books:  Journey of the Heart: An Anthology of Spiritual Poetry by Women. Where Journeys Meet: The Voice of Women's Poetry and Best of Rebelle Society, Volume I: Celebrating the Art of Being Alive. Between sips of coffee or tea and navigating life, Carolyn leads journal writing workshops, tutoring and has a private counseling practice. Additionally, she’s in the process of completing her first collection of poetry and prose. With the hopes of continued lunar inspiration and stars guiding her light, the book will be published in the fall of 2016. Carolyn can be reached via her e-mail address carolynra7@hotmail.com or on facebook here.  



~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~ 

Comments

  1. This post is beautiful and the layout is perfect. Thank you for sharing, believing,and creating a sacred place for poetry to thrive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Edith!! ~ Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...