Skip to main content

THE SKYLIGHT by Ruth Calder Murphy

Is it only me, who feels this way?

That if I look up, at the right moment, in the right way, I’ll catch sight of Eternity - of “Beyond the Veil, of another place - touchably near to our mortal world, and yet so often, for now, unreachable…

I think not; I think many of us feel this, and recognize, too, that meditation, ritual, religion, art, poetry, nature can open (albeit only by a chink) that portal, or skylight - enough for us to make sure that it’s there, real and wonderful - and that one day, we’ll pass beyond this limited sphere into the Great Beyond where, perhaps, our loved ones are already and we’ll begin to understand…

The skylight in the ceiling of my soul is like that dark glass in the New Testament letter, through which I see Divinity, Eternity, Everything. Sometimes, at least, I dare hope that one day, I’ll climb right through it and things will become brilliantly clear. For now, here, I’m content, on the whole, to watch the play of light slanting through it and making new and interesting shadows (as, no doubt Plato would put it) on the walls of my soul.

The Skylight
by Ruth Calder Murphy

There’s a skylight in the ceiling of my soul
that sometimes seems - simply -
a picture painted brilliant and bright,
beckoning me to take a stool and stand,
stretched tall,
to make sure that if I touch it
(if it’s really there at all)
it opens to Infinity,
to the elements,
to the Hours fleeing in the presence of Eternity
and that I -
like a sailor with a gifted ship,
pulled with the tide,
or a knight set free from legalistic chivalry,
with a horse to saddle
and the whole world to ride -
on a whim,
might flee with them...

There’s a skylight in the ceiling of my soul.
Spires soar against the cerulean blue,
birds wheel and fly,
and I’ll fly, too,
one day,
when Time has no more use for me,
or I for Time
- and I climb,
out towards the spires and the tossing tops of trees,
whose leaves are all the colours of my rainbowed thoughts -
and out, beyond,
to the mountains and the sea,
over the horizon;
flying free.
~
 (More of Ruth's Spiritual poetry can be found in her book, Spirit Song)
Artwork by the author, Ruth Calder Murphy

Ruth Calder Murphy is a writer, artist, music teacher, wife and mother living in London, UK. Her life is wonderfully full of creativity and low-level chaos. She is the author of two published novels, The Scream and The Everlasting Monday, several books of poetry and one or two as-yet unpublished novels. More of Ruth's Spiritual poetry can be found in her book, Spirit Song and the soon-to-be-released sequel, "River Song". She is passionate about celebrating the uniqueness of people, questioning the unquestionable and discovering new perspectives on old wonders. She is learning to ride the waves that come along—peaks and troughs—and is waking up to just how wonderful life really is. You can visit Ruth and view more of her art on her website, or on her writer's page on Facebook. All her books are available on Amazon, here.


~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...