Skip to main content

MY ROUNDING WOMANLY BODY by Leslie Caplan

 This poem came out of the belly of my changing body as I reach toward menopause with tenuous, tentative hands…

I want to resist, but we all know; that doesn't work. So I give in: Surrender to the softening of body while embracing the strengthening of wisdom that wells up from years of moving through life as deep, human and hearted as possible.

This piece is a celebration of women, birth, aging, self, earth, death, sensuality, acceptance and full-on embrace for the inevitable changes along life's curvaceous road. 

My Rounding Womanly Body 
by Leslie Caplan

My rounding womanly body 
moves through
each veiled doorway
and pierces light into the ancient
Rounded
Womanly
Birthing brewing body
holding earth
embodied
with eyes that ignite 
the awakened ones 
holding true to who they are
Sensuous breathing steamy 
curvaceous bodies
give life in oceans
swallowing whole 
sea waters of wisdom
aglow with fire and moon
and all those beautiful shades
of blue
that seep into
the cracks of daylight
This rounding womanly body
written in stars and dangles off 
each pointed tip, a pearl
of strength and courage
and insight so deep
the night turns blacker
from its depth
Round womanly body
gives birth to
boys that turn men
warriors of the womb
And girls to woman 
in love with their own bodies
How dreams come true
and into
full fruition
Rounding womanly body
Aging into weathered wisdom
of a life so intensely lived
we flower
we bloom
we wither and pass on
such depth with each footprint
we've left here 
on the ground
So round
so womanly
so quenched
Plump with nectar and spice
A wet-kissed tongue 
slurping the flavor of its own juice
The juice of 
this round and womanly heart
soul
ache exquisite
and profound
In the weighted belly of a tear
grows life
grows life
grows life
Rounded
Soft
Agile
Substance in the love-grab of a hand
taken by the ripeness
of change
the deep, unwavering acceptance 
of all that fades
and appears again whole
inside the eyes
of the adoring.


Leslie Caplan is a passionate writer and has been published internationally. She is a professional Writing Coach and editor who encourages and evokes the strongest, deepest expression of the writer's voice and heart.  She also facilitates writing workshops where writing is used as a tool for revealing and healing.  She lives in the small town of Ashland, Oregon and you can connect with her on her website here. 

~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. You're welcome...I'm consideri g posting some of my poetry too. Just found this page. Very cool! Inspiring. I'm in the round body stage as well. Learning to embrace the changes and give gratitude to each and evy part of me as I transform.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Exquisite, Leslie!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...