Skip to main content

INNOCENT by Kara D. Spain

As a woman, I feel the pain and empathize with every mother no matter the species...

...when her child is torn from her. In factory farming and the dairy industry, mother cows endure the torture of having their babies taken from them, over and over again. How can any woman who is a mother herself not empathize with their plight? 

I wrote this poem to shed light on this evil practice, and to hopefully encourage you to please, learn more about the meat and dairy industry. Together, we can love and protect all females, no matter their species, instead of sending them off to slaughter. 



Innocent
by Kara D. Spain

Forced, against her will,
pregnancy was not her choice,
yet she loved her babe, with a heavenly force.
Upon giving birth, he was stolen away-
never even given the chance to nurse that day
She ran behind him, with panic and fear,
knowing his end, could be near.
Now, what to do with all this milk?
Sold for profit; lies told to the people at the market
Her baby boy, never will she see
Now, her inner light, diminished in sadness and grief


(To learn more about the individual and global benefits 
of adopting the ethical, environmentally conscious diet of a vegan, click here)  



Kara D. Spain is a published poet, often shining light on social injustice and the plight of all living creatures. She’s a wife, animal lover, vegan, and advocate for peace. You can read her works at  Lyrical Discovery. 









~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...