Skip to main content

LOVE WILL SUSTAIN YOU THROUGH THE DARKNESS by Clare Smart

If I could step back in time to the day that my young husband was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer, what would I tell myself?
What would I tell the busy, ambitious, independent, achievement focused, young woman who was trying to balance starting a family with career and settling into a new community?  My younger self who knew as soon as she heard the diagnosis – that the structure of her life and all her dreams were no longer. What would I say as she ran her hand over her pregnant belly and cuddled her husband and 12 month old son?

I would say:

Love Will Sustain You Through the Darkness
by Clare Smart 


Love will show up and support you.  
In so many forms.
Open all of your doors and windows.
Welcome love in.
Make space for all the colours and shades of love.
The love of friends,
the love of strangers,
the love of your parents,
your love for each other,
the love of and for your children,
your love of the natural world and
the deep love within you for yourself.
It will teach you, surprise you and inspire you.
You will all be carried and connected by love.
And on the darkest, hardest days in the last few weeks on the cancer rollercoaster,
and then when you are navigating through grief,
some of your dearest friends will morph into guardian angels.
They will carry you and help you with exactly what you need.
Terminal cancer is a grey ominous cloud but throughout you and your young family will be showered by rainbows of love.
Grief will be a heavy swirling dark fog but you will find rainbows of joy whenever you look for them.
And when you emerge from the labyrinth of grief, you will find more laughter and love than you can imagine.
Love is the only reality. Let it in.
Pictured is the author, Clare Smart, with her children 


Clare Smart became a young widow and single mother to two children under five years of age when her husband died from brain cancer in 2012. Her blog, Rainbows and Rollercoasters, delves into the emotion-full experiences of cancer caring, grieving, solo parenting and then dating again. She is a grateful yogi and every day finds colour, strength and joy by playing at the beach or simply admiring a flower.







~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...