Skip to main content

A HUG OF LOVE by M.G Hreenka


From the very first time I visited Puri in Orissa, India, I had this craving in my heart to hug Lord Jagannath…

Dancing girls at Rathayatra Festival
Lord Jagannath is one of the forms of God worshiped in the gaudiya vaishnava, or bhakti yoga tradition. His name means 'Lord of The Universe'. His deity in Puri in made of neem wood and is over six feet tall. 

Hundreds and thousands of pilgrims come to see Lord Jagannath every year at the Rathayatra festival, when he comes out of his temple. Everyone dances in front of his cart; many hoping for a hug. But only very, very few of his devotees get one. 


What is a hug? A hug simply exists to feel a person’s love, to bring you comfort, to make your depression go away, to break the distance between you and the person you love.

I kept telling my mom how much I miss Jagannath after our Puri parikrama, which is a 19 km pilgrimage walk around Puri, the origin of Lord Jagannath. I’ve had this feeling since I saw Jagannath in Rajapur temple, Bengal. The craving has been in me ever since I was a child.

In December 2012, the Puri pilgrimage influenced me so much that this craving for a hug started to increase more and more.

Finally, One night Jagannath appeared in my dream and made my wish come true, gave me something I was dying to get: a hug of love from the Lord himself!


A Hug of Love

There was this one special day
   that I had a sweet dream
Of my Loveliest Lord:
   Like reality! it seemed.

To see his glorious form
   was my longtime wish.
Now finally granted
   What happiness I relish!

He gleamed with his beauty:
   The Lord of The Universe just as he is!
Seeing his merciful face
   my life was filled with bliss.

It was when I entered
   the Puri Jagannath temple
And saw Baladev and Subadra
   but no Jagannath!
Naturally, I wondered where he’d gone:
   Off on a walk, maybe?
Or off to visit his bhaktas?
   Nowhere could I see his lovely face.

Suddenly, I turned my face
   to the right side of my bed,
And was shocked and bewildered
   to see Lord Jagannath’s head!

He lay happily beside me
   with his cute charming smile!
I didn’t know what to do
   and was frozen for a while.

I tried to call my mother
   but my voice had become lost:
Mute with excitement
   I wished I could be heard at any cost.

Just then Lord Jagannath
   turned his body over to me,
Looked onto my face
and hugged me tightly.

I couldn’t bear this happiness
   that my wish had at last come true:
I was hugging Lord Jagannath!
   All My burdens in a second away flew!

I woke up and I realized
   how merciful Jagannath was.
Just as I wished to hug him
   he appeared for this loving cause.

When you fully believe in the Lord
   show your faith and trust.
He’ll never ever betray you
   keep loving him as you must.

Just crave for his mercy
   and he’ll show you the way:
He’ll appear and give his darshan
   whether it’s night or day.
~
Photography by The Bhakti Beat



M.G Hreenka : “I am originally from Chennai, India and am currently obtaining my bachelor degree in biomedical engineering. My parents are initiated by Jayapataka Swami, and I am also aspiring for that same shelter. I started writing poems at the age of 16. My inspiration was my mother who is also a wonderful poet. I may not be a great poet but I love writing poetry for the sake of Krishna and his devotee’s pleasure. I wish to continue writing bigger and better ones soon! Besides poetry I have a love for singing and dancing.”





~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~

Comments

  1. Hare Krsna Mathaji. very very inspiring experience that shows how the lord is merciful. I wish one day i'll also become as pure unconditionally loving devotee of the lord like you. Jay Jagannath

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Gather

IMBOLC by Caroline Mellor

The inspiration for this poem came after I watched a magical winter sunset and full moonrise from the top of Firle Beacon in the South Downs... Unusually for me, I wrote the poem quite quickly and changed it very little before publishing it – perhaps the energies were working through my pen! Imbolc is the mid-point between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. It’s a fire festival which I particularly love because of its associations with Brigid, the Celtic Mother Goddess of arts and crafts, clear sight, healing, inspiration and nurturance of creative talents – something which, through my writing, I am always trying to connect with.  I also love Imbolc because, with so much darkness and negativity in the world today, it is a time for hope, potential, visioning and initiation. With love and blessings as the light returns. Photography by Chanel Baran IMBOLC    by Caroline Mellor I am the dream of awakening. I am the returning of the night.  I am the tough green

WINTER SOLSTICE: A GIFT OF LOVE by Carolyn Riker

I’ve had several days now of alone time… It is unusual and a gift that I couldn’t see until I breathed it. I have been able to watch the sun’s rise through the grey of dawn and smile at the flickers of frost melting on the waving boughs of evergreen. It’s unique to follow daylight as it traverses the tempo of a cat’s soft slumbering purr. Night comes swifter and the glow of candles and the flames of fire comfort me more than the steady stream of always-doing-more. As much as I resisted, I needed this break. I had no idea how much my body was trying to tell me   slow down   until the exhaustion settled in around my joints. My eyes swam in molasses. Heaviness of I-can’t-hold-out-much-long, walked me to the throne of my nest. It’s winter’s gift of self-nurturing and love. It’s been a quiet proclamation of femininity and a need for comfort foods. Lemon crisps and cranberry, white-chocolate shortbread dipped in tea; I felt a hint of being pampered without