Skip to main content

IN ANOTHER PLACE by Alison Darnbrough

Ever since I was a child I have been drawn to certain places around   the world…

I feel they call me in my dreams. I have discovered that following these ‘callings’ has taken me on the most magical journeys. Many of these have literally changed the course of my life.

Morocco, and particularly Marrakech, was one of these places, the name alone conjuring up an exoticness and otherworldliness that thrilled and excited me.

In February 2012 I called my friend, Belinda (a storyteller) who had a significant birthday coming up and asked if she wanted to go to Marrakesh with me. She immediately said yes. In May we flew from a cool grey Manchester in England to the sultry fiery-red heat of North Africa. It was all I had hoped and believed it would be.

After four days in the city however, Belinda and I were finding the pace and noise a little overwhelming. We craved a different, more peaceful rhythm to calm our excited hearts and minds.

So, one evening we travelled out into the desert to watch the sun set and eat at a beautiful retreat called La Pausa.  La Pausa brought that peace.

I had been experimenting with writing poetry again for a couple of years (after a gap of maybe 15) but had written no poetry on the trip.  This poem ‘came to me’ up in the desert that evening. It seemed that the words drifted to me on that warm evening breeze as things slowed down. That had never happened to me before.


Whenever I read it now I am transported back to that evening and can recapture that sense of peace I found in the desert.
In Another Place

In another place

my mind and thoughts slow to a different pace

the desert space

amidst the stars and black night sky

and burning wood on warm night breeze

enveloped by olive trees.
~




Alison Darnbrough is an English writer, Art Curator, Educational Consultant and Traveller. She is currently living in Chicago (USA) writing a book. You may connect with her on her International Arts website here, or by emailing alisond.adia@gmail.com







~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...