Skip to main content

HER SHOES by Krista Katrovas

This poem came to me after hearing from an old childhood friend…

She is the one who gave me "Her Shoes." It was written in honor of the kindness we show to other women, and girls, and the beauty that exists in giving without expecting anything in return. For, if giving comes with any expectation it's truly not giving at all.

I remember my friend's kindness, so many years ago, was so free from expecting that I give her anything in return. I felt such comfort because of it. 

So now I offer my gently used items to other women in hopes they receive them with as much appreciation and comfort as I once received these shoes from my friend.  
Her Shoes

She gave me her gently used shoes,
though too big for my standard size seven.
I’d stuff toilet paper inside the toes of them
like a ballerina
with the box
encasing the dancer’s toes,
supporting her feet
as she pirouettes
and dances on point.

I stuffed my red ballet flats
so they wouldn’t fall off
when I walked the halls
in high school.

They became my favorite pair of shoes.
I’d cram more inside,
or crunch my toes
making my foot fatter
to keep the shoes from falling off.
My toes would cramp,
though not bleed
like a ballerinas.

Walking was not easy
unless I pressed paper
into the tips of the shoes,
making them artificially smaller.

She knew my shoes were stuffed.
She knew they’d fall off if I didn’t,
but she never told anyone,
that she had given me those red shoes,
or that I had to cram tissue inside,
week after week,
in order to look cool.

Now I have more shoes
than I probably need
and often donate gently used ones,
hoping they go to homes
of women who will walk,
just as I did in hers,
comforted
by the kindness of another
that expects
nothing in return
while receiving the grace
that comes from the giving.

Krista Katrovas (E-RYT) has dedicated herself to the practice, study and teaching of yoga since discovering it in 1999 after dancing rigorously as a dance major in college. Krista has had scores of articles on Yoga, Wellness, and Spirituality published in nationally regulated magazines. She has a regular column at Elephant Journal here. She has taught Yoga in Prague every July since 2009 and has been sought to teach in Kuwait, Canada, Virginia, California, Kentucky, and Florida. She calls Kalamazoo, Michigan home, where she teaches Yoga, Meditation, offers Spiritual guidance, and practices Shamanism. She has cats, though also loves dogs, all animals. Her power animal is the Snowy Owl. Visit her yoga website here.


~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...