Skip to main content

LOOKING WITHIN by Narayani Devi Dasi

I wrote this poem when I was going through a difficult time in my life called the midlife crisis…

 My husband had just left me after 24 years of marriage and I was in my 40’s with a small child. So sometimes I thought that maybe I should look around again to find someone to be a companion to me.

But because I had been practicing bhakti yoga and performing devotional service to Lord Krishna for about 25 years, I thought it best not to rely on my own emotions and intelligence, and instead prayed to Lord Krishna (God) for guidance during that difficult time. So I decided to look within, and chant the Hare Krishna mantra, and Krishna gave me real answers to all my problems.

Now, after 20 years I look back with gratitude and thank Krishna for saving me from a situation that most certainly would have proved disastrous.
Painting 'Govinda' by Annapurna Devi Dasi

Looking Within

In the stillness of my heart
I search for You.
I quiet my noisy mind
and look within.

Don't look elsewhere
for shelter
but find your best friend
within.

Search for Your friend
who is beyond
the mad hankerings
and passionate longings
of your mind.

Search for that place
where He stays,
peaceful, content.


He will not reject you.
Only He can accept all your service
and all your love.
~
(This poem was originally published in the author's poetry book 'Garden of Devotion')
Painting 'Radha Gopinath' by Annapurna Devi Dasi

Narayani Devi Dasi was born in 1948. She joined the bhakti yoga tradition at the ISKCON temple in Boston in 1970, and was sent to India in 1972. Remaining in India until now, she served in Calcutta in the 70’s as pujari (altar priestess) for the Radha Govinda deities there and in the 80's as traveling book distributor in Mumbai (former Bombay). Since 1993, Narayani has been living in the holy village of Vrndavan teaching at VIHE (The Vrindavan Institute for Higher Education). Beside her poetry book 'Garden of Devotion' Narayani has also written eleven other books available here, including 'Srimad Bhagavatam at a Glance' and 'Bhagavad Gita at a Glance'. Srimad Bhagavatam at a Glance is also now expanded as a series with a picture for every verse of Srimad Bhagavatam.

~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~ 

Comments

  1. Beautiful so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find your art to be of such immense beauty. I have your garden of devotion book. What a beautiful service you have offered up to the Lord and Srila Prabhupada. Thank you! Hare Krishna

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...