Skip to main content

TEACH YOUR TALENT by Yvette Autin Warren

 My daughter and daughter-in-law are award-winning teachers of children…

 I was told early on that I would never be a teacher, though this was my dream. Yet, as a mother, I was a teacher, and as a manager I also taught.

We are all teachers by our examples to others, even if we never set foot in a classroom. To understand and honor this is the most empowering belief I have to pass on to others. So do not hesitate to teach your talent!

Teach Your Talent

Teach, teach, and teach some more, if you have a talent;

This is the role for which humanity was actually sent.


We do humankind no favors when we control by fear;

This should be, by now, to humans, abundantly clear.


Anyone who will not learn from others is surely a fool,

And they will always be the downfall of humanity's tools.

Do not worry if your wisdom seems to fall on deaf ears;

It may not be in this generation that anyone hears.


You have done your utmost, if as a learned human,

You've passed down your knowledge to a young man or woman.


And if you are blessed with the talent, write it for the ages;
Remember that lasting change only comes in slow stages.
~

Yvette Autin Warren: I am a grandmother who was recently ordained as a minister in the Universal Life Church. I sought this title to honor my many years of ministering to those around me as daughter, sister, wife, mother, food service manager, community volunteer, aunt, and friend. After my children were grown and I retired from the workforce, I had no title that I felt actually honored my current position in society. I am still ministering, but not in the physical spheres in which I did serve.  I now mostly serve as an elder and advisor. I write about my spiritual journey and have published several books, the most recent We’re Already Eternal a collection of insights into the ways we manifest The Sacred Spirit with our lives. Join me in my journey at my blog 'One Family, Many Faiths' here. 

~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~ 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...