Skip to main content

DON'T TURN BACK by Maureen Kwiat Meshenberg

There are times when I am pulled back into time, feeling regret and shame...

This poem came to me as I decided to recite a mantra every morning in my meditative sacred space: “I am who I am ready to become who I am on the inside.” We are all human with the spirit within us striving and thriving. When others or ourselves fill us with doubt and draw us back into the past, we may realize that that place does not exist anymore. 

There is no sense in regressing and bringing ourselves to fear and blame. Call in grace and compassion towards ourselves, but I believe we  need to find our new steps guiding us to who we truly are on the inside. “Don’t turn back, don’t go that way anymore.”   The time to live is now!


Don't Turn Back 
by Maureen Kwiat Meshenberg

don’t turn back,
don’t go that way anymore-
it’s not a path,
that can be re-done,
even if others protest-
and want you to regress-
it is but a place in time,
no longer full of living-
or life.

don’t look back,
don’t let thoughts-
hold you in a cage-
of regrets anymore,
what’s the use of reviving-
what no longer brings you
to your present beginnings,
the journey you possess right now-
is yours for the taking.

don’t glance back,
and cry so much for it anymore-
take it and create a,
healing place for it-
let it evaporate,
into the breath of your redeeming-
cant go back now,
bring expectations to what was-
all that is done,
can not be undone.

don’t try to bring it back,
it does not belong to you anymore-
it is but a memory,
to take pieces of it-
and hold it to grace,
see the opening in front of you-
the presence that holds,
you steady-
let it fall and break,
behind you-
only light gleaming,
on your new path before you-
love holding your journey,
close to your heart.
Photography by Elenora Di Primo

  
Maureen Kwiat Meshenberg is an author and a prolific poetess. She is guided by her inner soul’s journey and her empathic musings about life. Maureen’s draws from her human experiences, bringing reflective, soulful thoughts of the heart and the shifts in life’s journey to her poetry. Her most recent work includes her own Facebook page called Heart’s Calling where she currently reaches almost 3,000 regular readers. She also has her own website here. She currently hosts a monthly  sacred creative writing circle for women using writing prompts as a means of inner releasing. Maureen has 3 adult children and currently lives in Oak Park, Illinois. She has recently published her first debut poetry book called Seasons of the Soul: Transitions and Shifts of Life which can be purchased here. 

~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~ 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...